California Avocado Tabbouleh
IngredientsTabbouleh Salad (recipe follows) 3 Fresh California Avocados*, sliced Tabbouleh Salad 2 1/2 cups bulgur wheat 2 1/2 cups boiling water 1 1/2 lb. English cucumber, finely diced 1 1/2 lb. cherry or grape tomatoes, halved 1 cup green onions, thinly sliced 1 cup Italian parsley, roughly chopped 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped 1 1/2 cups basil, thinly sliced 1/2 cup mint, finely chopped 1/3 cup Extra virgin olive oil 4 Tbsp. avocado oil 1 1/3 cups Meyer lemon juice 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. Meyer lemon zest 1 Fresh California Avocado, finely diced
- Place bulgur in a large bowl and stir in hot water. Cover for 1 hour until the water has been absorbed and the bulgur has softened. Cool.
- Stir cucumbers, tomatoes, scallions, parsley, cilantro, basil, and mint into the bulgur.
- For the dressing, whisk olive oil and avocado oil into the lemon juice and stir in lemon zest.
- Fold the dressing into the tabbouleh. Then fold in 1 California Avocado, finely diced.
- To serve, mound 6-ounce tabbouleh in the center of plate. Fan three slices California Avocado over top.
- Cut the 3 avocados in half lengthwise, and remove pits, leaving the avocado flesh on the skin. Cut 8 slices per half in skin. Put the two halves together and wrap plastic wrap around avocado, until serving.
- Just before serving, scoop out 3 slices for garnish.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados