Freshly braised corned beef brisket accented with California Avocado and Killarney avocado slaw is a delicious new way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. And, you can enjoy it knowing you are getting the added benefit of nutrition with 380 mg of Potassium, plus a good source of Iron (15% DV) and an excellent source of Vitamin A (25% DV) and Vitamin C (65% DV).
Corned Beef and Killarney Avocado Slaw
Ingredients16 oz. freshly braised corned beef brisket (recipe below) 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced (plus additional for the Killarney slaw) 2 tsp. vegetable oil Irish Beer Mustard Sauce, (recipe below) Killarney Avocado Slaw, (recipe below) Braised Fresh Corned Beef Brisket 2 1/4 lb. fresh corned beef with juices and seasonings 1/2 each fresh lemon, thinly sliced 2 cloves garlic Water, as needed Irish Beer Mustard Sauce 1/4 cup spicy brown mustard 1 1/2 Tbsp. dark Irish beer 1 1/2 tsp. green onion, white end only, minced 1/2 tsp. sugar Killarney Avocado Slaw 4 oz. fresh shredded cabbage and carrot mix 2 Tbsp. diced yellow bell pepper 1 Tbsp. thinly sliced green onion 1/3 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt 3 Tbsp. ripe, Fresh California Avocado, coarsely mashed 1/2 tsp. sugar 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice 2/5 tsp. caraway seed 1/4 cup diced ripe, Fresh California Avocado
- Rinse fresh corned beef and place in roasting pan, fat side up. Add seasoning package, sliced lemon, garlic and an inch of water. Cover with a lid or tightly fitting foil.
- Roast at 350 degrees F until tender, 2 ½ – 3 hours.
- Remove from liquid, cut away excess fat and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- While corned beef is roasting prepare the Irish Beer Mustard Sauce. Whisk all ingredients together and refrigerate.
- While corned beef is roasting prepare the Killarney Avocado Slaw. Mix together all ingredients except the diced California Avocado, and then fold that in last and refrigerate.
- Slice warm corned beef ¼-inch thick and lay on platter.
- Brush a non-stick sauté pan very lightly with vegetable oil and grill the Fresh California Avocado slices on one side to warm. Fan on top of the corned beef.
- Serve with Killarney Avocado Slaw and Irish Beer Mustard Sauce.
Serving suggestions: Serve with roasted potatoes and carrots. Add grated orange rind to the slaw for more flavor and garnish with sliced green onion. Also makes a delicious sandwich. Simply spread a slice of marbled rye bread with a little of the Irish Beer Mustard sauce, top with slices of corned beef, California Avocado and Swiss cheese. Microwave or bake to melt the cheese.
Beverage Pairings: Pair with Irish black lager beer, lager, or a non-alcoholic beer or sparkling water with fresh lemon juice and slices.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados