Freshly braised corned beef brisket accented with California Avocado and Killarney avocado slaw is a delicious new way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day. And, you can enjoy it knowing you are getting the added benefit of nutrition with 380 mg of Potassium, plus a good source of Iron (15% DV) and an excellent source of Vitamin A (25% DV) and Vitamin C (65% DV).
Corned Beef and Killarney Avocado Slaw
|16||oz.||freshly braised corned beef brisket (recipe below)|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced (plus additional for the Killarney slaw)|
|Irish Beer Mustard Sauce, (recipe below)|
|Killarney Avocado Slaw, (recipe below)|
|Braised Fresh Corned Beef Brisket|
|2 1/4||fresh corned beef with juices and seasonings|
|1/2||each fresh lemon, thinly sliced|
|Water, as needed|
|Irish Beer Mustard Sauce|
|1/4||cup||spicy brown mustard|
|1 1/2||Tbsp.||dark Irish beer|
|1 1/2||tsp.||green onion, white end only, minced|
|Killarney Avocado Slaw|
|4||oz.||fresh shredded cabbage and carrot mix|
|2||Tbsp.||diced yellow bell pepper|
|1||Tbsp.||thinly sliced green onion|
|1/3||cup||plain nonfat Greek yogurt|
|3||Tbsp.||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, coarsely mashed|
|1||tsp.||fresh lemon juice|
|1/4||cup||diced ripe, Fresh California Avocado|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Rinse fresh corned beef and place in roasting pan, fat side up. Add seasoning package, sliced lemon, garlic and an inch of water. Cover with a lid or tightly fitting foil.
- Roast at 350 degrees F until tender, 2 ½ – 3 hours.
- Remove from liquid, cut away excess fat and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- While corned beef is roasting prepare the Irish Beer Mustard Sauce. Whisk all ingredients together and refrigerate.
- While corned beef is roasting prepare the Killarney Avocado Slaw. Mix together all ingredients except the diced California Avocado, and then fold that in last and refrigerate.
- Slice warm corned beef ¼-inch thick and lay on platter.
- Brush a non-stick sauté pan very lightly with vegetable oil and grill the Fresh California Avocado slices on one side to warm. Fan on top of the corned beef.
- Serve with Killarney Avocado Slaw and Irish Beer Mustard Sauce.
Serving suggestions: Serve with roasted potatoes and carrots. Add grated orange rind to the slaw for more flavor and garnish with sliced green onion. Also makes a delicious sandwich. Simply spread a slice of marbled rye bread with a little of the Irish Beer Mustard sauce, top with slices of corned beef, California Avocado and Swiss cheese. Microwave or bake to melt the cheese.
Beverage Pairings: Pair with Irish black lager beer, lager, or a non-alcoholic beer or sparkling water with fresh lemon juice and slices.
Nutrition Information Per Serving of Corned Beef with Avocado and Mustard Sauce: Calories 390; Total Fat 30 g (Sat 8 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 2 g, Mono 15 g); Cholesterol 110 mg; Sodium 1350 mg; Potassium 380 mg; Total Carbohydrates 6 g; Dietary Fiber 3 g; Total Sugars 1 g; Protein 22 g; Vitamin A 62 (IU); Vitamin C 14 mg; Calcium 25.8 mg; Iron 2.5 mg; Vitamin D 4.5 (IU); Folate 41 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.3 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 2%; Iron 15%
Nutrition Information Per Serving of Killarney Slaw: Calories 80; Total Fat 4 g (Sat 1 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 0 g, Mono 2.5 g); Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 20 mg; Potassium 240 mg; Total Carbohydrates 11 g; Dietary Fiber 3 g; Total Sugars 7 g; Protein 3 g; Vitamin A 1269 (IU); Vitamin C 25 mg; Calcium 38 mg; Iron 0.04 mg; Vitamin D 6 (IU); Folate 37 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.3 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25%; Vitamin C 40%; Calcium 4%; Iron 2%