These little carne asada tacos are just like the ones you might get from your favorite taqueria in San Diego or Santa Barbara, or the best taco trucks in East L.A. or The Mission District of San Francisco. Cumin-kissed grilled steak is topped with gorgeous grilled avocado, cilantro, onion, and salsa. Serve these tacos at your next barbecue or for a quick and easy street taco night at home. These tacos pack a nutrient punch with excellent sources (20% DV or more) of 55% DV Vitamin B12, 45% DV Vitamin B6, 35% DV Vitamin K, 25% DV Magnesium and 20% DV Vitamin C.
Carne Asada Tacos with Grilled Avocado
Total Time: 8 min
Vitamin A 866 IU; Vitamin C 13 mg; Calcium 89 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 5 IU; Folate 86 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.21 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 8%; Iron 25 %
Ingredients2 Tbsp. olive oil 1/2 Tbsp. cumin 1 tsp. ground chipotle 1/4 tsp. salt, plus additional for sprinkling 1/4 tsp. black pepper 1 lb. skirt steak 15 (4-inch) corn tortillas, warmed 2 tsp. olive oil 1/2 lemon, juiced As needed Salt, optional 2 ripe, medium Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and sliced in eighths 1/4 cup salsa or hot sauce of your choice 1/4 cup shredded cabbage 1 1/2 Tbsp. minced onion 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Mix together, olive oil, cumin, chipotle, salt, and pepper and pour over steak. Marinate for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Mix second measure of olive oil, lemon juice, and a sprinkle of salt (optional), then pour over avocados.
- Preheat a grill on high for 10 minutes (or until it reaches over 500 degrees F.)
- Place avocado slices on one half of the grill, steak on the other. Close lid and cook for four minutes. Flip steak and avocados, close lid, and cook for another 2-3 minutes until steak is medium rare in the center.
- Give steak 10 minutes to rest before slicing against the grain.
- To make a taco, stack two corn tortillas, top with steak, hot sauce, grilled avocado, cabbage, onion and cilantro.
Serving Suggestion: Tacos go best with more tacos, try shrimp, veggie, or chicken, all topped with California Avocados.
Beverage Pairing: Mineral water with a big wedge of lime.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados