All of the ingredients of a classic cheeseburger are in this loaded burger bowl recipe – except the bun. That means fewer calories and carbs than a traditional burger. This burger bowl recipe cooks up quickly and you easily can vary the ingredients to fit the way you prefer your burgers. Of course, the California Avocados are what makes it a California Burger Bowl!
California Burger in a Bowl
Total Time: 20 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 214 mcg; Vitamin C 25 mg; Calcium 275 mg; Iron 5 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 166 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.27 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 25%; Vitamin C 30%; Calcium 20%; Iron 30 %; Vitamin D 0%
Ingredients1 1/2 lb. lean (80/20) ground beef 1/4 cup minced yellow or white onions 1/4 tsp. steak seasoning or seasoned salt, or to taste 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper 1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated and washed 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and halved 2 large or 4 small tomatoes, diced 1 cup shredded cheese (Cheddar or your choice) 1/2 cup drained dill or sweet pickle chips, 1 tsp. pickle juice reserved 1/2 cup diced cooked bacon, optional burger condiments such as mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, optional
- Combine ground beef, onions, steak seasoning and Worcestershire sauce. Form into burger patties, smoothing the edges for even cooking.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet or griddle to medium high. Place the burger patties in the hot skillet. In the center of each patty make a deep thumbprint. (This helps the centers cook at the same rate as the rest of the burgers.) Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, then flip the patties to the other side. Cook an additional 3 to 5 minutes on the other side depending on how well-done you prefer. Sprinkle with pepper and keep warm.
- Line four entrée-size bowls with butter lettuce leaves around the sides and along the bottom.
- Mash one avocado half and stir in the pickle juice. Divide mashed avocado among the bowls. Slice or dice the remaining avocados.
- Add the cooked burger patties, tomatoes, cheese, pickle chips and diced avocados to the bowl. (You can place each ingredient in its own section or layer them all.)
- Serve with your favorite burger condiments.
Variations: The beef patties for the burger bowl also can be cooked on a grill, in an instant pot or air fryer. Follow the manufacturer instructions.
Instead of cooking the onions in the patties, top the burger bowl with caramelized onions for an “extra” presentation.
Serving Suggestion: Use a squeeze bottle filled with your favorite burger condiment or dressing to decorate the top of the burger bowl.
Beverage Pairing: Ice cold beer
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados