Sauteed mushrooms and seasoned ground turkey makes this turkey burger bowl recipe tasty, and delicious California avocados put it over the top. With no buns there are fewer calories and carbs in the California burger bowl than a traditional turkey burger.
Turkey Burger Bowl
Total Time: 20 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 125 mcg; Vitamin C 40 mg; Calcium 351 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 184 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.22 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 45%; Calcium 25%; Iron 20 %; Vitamin D 0%
Ingredients1 tsp. extra virgin oil 4 cremini or Portobello mushrooms (2.5 to 3 inch), diced 1 lb. extra lean (93/7) ground turkey 1/8 tsp. sea salt, or to taste 1 tsp. garlic paste 1 tsp. red chile paste 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced 6 cups mixed salad greens or baby arugula 2 large or 4 small tomatoes, diced 1 cup shredded cheese (Mozzarella, Swiss or your choice) 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and sliced 1/2 small red onion, peeled and thinly sliced, optional Sriracha mayo or other burger condiments, optional
- In a large skillet, heat the oil then add the mushrooms and cook until soft. Remove the mushrooms and any juice to a small bowl.
- In the same skillet brown the ground turkey until it is cooked through. Season the turkey with the salt, garlic paste and chile paste. Stir in the mushrooms and any juices; keep warm.
- Divide salad greens or arugula among four entrée-size bowls. Top with the turkey-mushroom mixture, then in sections add the tomatoes, cheese, avocados and bacon, if using.
- Serve with your favorite burger condiments.
- The ground turkey mixture for the burger bowl also can be cooked in an instant pot or slow cooker. Follow the manufacturer instructions.
- Legumes such as lentils and black beans make a delicious and healthy addition to this California Avocado burger bowl.
Serving Suggestion: Use a squeeze bottle filled with the sriracha mayo your favorite burger condiment or dressing to decorate the top of the burger bowl.
Beverage Pairing: Pinot Noir
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados