These “breakfast nachos” are a fun and delicious dish to add to your weekend breakfast spread.
Chilaquiles de California Avocado
|8||(6-inch) fresh corn tortillas, quartered|
|As needed||Oil, for frying|
|As needed||Kosher salt, to taste|
|1/2||cup||diced Spanish chorizo|
|1||cup||prepared mole sauce|
|1||cup||rotisserie chicken, skinned and shredded|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and diced|
|1/4||cup||Cotija cheese or shredded Monterey Jack/cheddar blend|
|1||bunch||scallions, thinly sliced|
|1||Tbsp.||white roasted sesame seeds|
|1||bunch||cilantro, roughly chopped|
|1||cup||pico de gallo salsa, whatever is prettiest|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Fry the tortillas in 350°F oil till crispy. Season with salt and dry on a paper towel.
- In a large sauté pan, add a small amount of oil and bring up to medium heat. Add the chorizo and sauté till browned. Pour in the mole sauce and water, stirring until the sauce has coated the chorizo.
- Add the chicken and chips to the sauté pan and cook till the sauce is soaked into the chips.
- In a separate pan, scramble the eggs over low heat until cooked through.
- Transfer the chip mixture to a bowl, add in most of the avocado and toss gently to incorporate. Divide mixture evenly among plates and top with scrambled egg, cheese, scallions, sesame seeds, cilantro, pico de gallo and reserved avocado.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Copyright © 2013, Neal Fraser
Calories 624; Total Fat 41 g (Sat 7 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 6 g, Mono 517 g); Cholesterol 145 mg; Sodium 780 mg; Potassium 920 mg; Total Carbohydrates 44 g; Dietary Fiber 12 g; Total Sugars 4 g; Protein 27 g;
Vitamin A 4181 IU; Vitamin C 32 mg; Calcium 186 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 32 IU; Folate 119 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.03 g
% Daily Value*: Total Fat 62%; Vitamin A 84%; Vitamin C 54%; Calcium 19%; Iron 22%