Coconut shrimp – a seaside classic – gets a Californian twist with a unique California Avocado Hot Sauce recipe that combines cool, creamy avocados with spicy jalapeños for a tasty kick.
Coconut Shrimp with California Avocado Hot Sauce
Total Time: 35 min
Prep Time: |
Ingredients1 lb. shrimp, medium-sized, peeled and deveined 1 tsp. paprika 1 tsp. garlic powder 1/8 tsp. salt, or to taste 1/8 tsp. pepper, or to taste 1/8 tsp. black pepper, or to taste 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil 1 cup coconut flakes 1 cup panko bread crumbs 3 eggs 1 cup vegetable oil California Avocado Hot Sauce, (see make-ahead recipe below) California Avocado Hot Sauce Ingredients: 2 jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded and sliced in half lengthwise 1 1/2 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and chopped 1 cloves garlic 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped 1/2 lime, juiced 1/4 cup white vinegar 2 tsp. olive oil 1 tsp. water 1/8 tsp. salt, or to taste 1/8 tsp. pepper, or to taste
- Dry shrimp with a paper towel and mix with paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil and set aside.
- Mix coconut flakes and panko bread crumbs in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat eggs and set aside.
- Add vegetable oil to a deep skillet and place on high heat for about 10 minutes.
- Dip shrimp in beaten eggs then the panko/coconut flakes and add to the hot skilled for 3-5 minutes or until the coating is crispy.
- Serve on a shareable plate with California Avocado Hot Sauce.
California Avocado Hot Sauce Instructions:
- In a dry skillet on medium-high heat, add jalapeños to slightly blister.
- Once blistered, place in a blender or food processor with remaining hot sauce ingredients. Blend until smooth and vibrant green.
- Place in a small ramekins for dipping.
Serving Suggestion: For a spicier hot sauce, leave seeds in the jalapeños. Serve a plate of Coconut Shrimp with California Avocado Hot Sauce along with a side of fries for a hearty, shareable meal.
Beverage Pairing: A light lager or pilsner would make a crisp pairing with the fresh fried shrimp.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados