These tasty skewers are the perfect addition to a summer meal enjoyed al fresco. The colorful blend of ingredients layered on the skewer add a pop of deliciousness to your table. You can feel good serving these skewers to family and friends because they’re loaded with almost double the daily value of vitamin C (190% DV), an excellent source of protein (54% DV), vitamin E (50% DV), dietary fiber (46% DV), folate (45% DV), vitamin K (30% DV), potassium (25% DV), and vitamin A (20% DV).
Smoked California Avocado Jerk Chicken Skewers
Total Time: 2 h
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 178 mcg; Vitamin C 169 mg; Calcium 74 mg; Iron 3 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 188 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.24 g. % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 190%; Calcium 6%; Iron 15 %; Vitamin D 0%.
IngredientsFor the marinade: 1 tsp. ground nutmeg 1 Tbsp. ground allspice 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon 1/4 cup brown sugar 1 Tbsp. paprika 2 Tbsp. salt 1 tsp. black pepper 2 Tbsp. fresh thyme, picked off sprig 1/4 cup olive oil 1/4 cup minced garlic 1 Scotch Bonnet pepper (habanero pepper can be used if Scotch Bonnet is not available), minced 1/4 cup lemon juice 1 cup (packed) fresh cilantro, rough chopped 1/2 lb. red onion, minced For the chicken skewers: 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 in. chunks 1/2 pineapple, peeled, cut into chunks 1/4 lb. red onion, peeled and cut into 1-in. wedges 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled, cut into chunks 2 large red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-in. pieces Additional ingredients: 1 bunch green onion, ends trimmed California Avocado Balsamic Sauce (instructions below) 8 skewers 2 cedar grilling planks California Avocado Balsamic Sauce: 1/2 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded and peeled 1/8 cup white balsamic vinegar 1 Tbsp. honey 1/4 tsp. minced garlic clove 1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard 1/4 tsp. fine black pepper 1/4 cup grape seed oil
Marinade and Skewer Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Soak cedar grilling planks and skewers in water.
- In a medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients and oil. Once combined, add minced scotch bonnet pepper, lemon juice, minced cilantro and onion to seasoning mixture. Mix until achieving a paste-like consistency.
- Add diced chicken to marinade for 60 minutes.
- While chicken is marinating, make the sauce.
- After chicken has marinated, prepare the skewers – alternating on each skewer chicken, pineapple, onion, California Avocado and bell pepper.
- Bake the skewers on the cedar plank in the oven for 20-30 minutes. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165° F.
- Once complete, spoon sauce on a plate and place skewers on top. Garnish with green onions.
California Avocado Balsamic Sauce Instructions:
- In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Serve with Smoked California Avocado Jerk Chicken Skewers.
Serving Suggestion: Dip your skewers in the California Avocado Balsamic Sauce or drizzle on top for an extra punch of flavor.
Beverage Pairing: Consider pairing these skewers with a crisp white wine or a cold glass of ginger beer.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados