Celebrate summer with crab cake sandwiches topped with fresh California Avocado Remoulade. Perfect for all the American Summer Holidays, the remoulade can also pull double duty to be served as a refreshing dip for veggies and chips, or to top tacos, burgers and more!
Crab Cake Sandwiches With California Avocado Remoulade
Total Time: 20 min
Ingredients1/2 cup aioli (see make ahead recipe below) 1 large egg, beaten 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce 1/2 tsp. hot sauce 1 lb. jumbo lump crab meat, picked over 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs 1 lemon, zest only 1 cup all-purpose flour 1/4 tsp. salt 1 tsp. ground black pepper 4 rustic rolls California Avocado Remoulade (see make-ahead recipe below) 1/2 red onion, sliced 1 heirloom tomato, sliced 1 Fresh California Avocado, sliced 4 green leaf lettuce leaves 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice Aioli: 2 egg yolks 1 1/4 tsp. minced garlic 1/4 lemon, juice only 1/4 Tbsp. Dijon mustard 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar 1 1/2 cups canola oil 1/8 tsp. salt, or to taste 1/8 tsp. pepper, or to taste California Avocado Remoulade: 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice 1 cup aioli (see make ahead recipe below) 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard 1 Tbsp. Louisiana Hot Sauce, or to taste 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce 2 Tbsp. minced sweet onion 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley 2 Tbsp. chopped bread and butter pickles (if bread and butter pickles aren’t available, any spicy-sweet variety of pickles will work) 1 grated medium sized garlic clove 1 tsp. chopped capers 1 tsp. salt 1 tsp. fresh ground pepper 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- In a small bowl, whisk the aioli with the egg, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, lightly toss the crabmeat with the bread crumbs and lemon zest. Gently fold in the aioli mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Using roughly 1/3 cup of the crab mixture per patty, form circular patties, around 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick.
- Mix the flour, salt and pepper on a shallow dish.
- Lightly flour the top and bottom of each crab cake.
- Oil a seafood grate and place on a medium-high heat charcoal grill.*
- Cook crab cakes on each side until golden brown on each side and heated through.
- Coat both sides of the roll with a generous smear of California Avocado remoulade.
- Serve each roll with one crab cake and top with red onion, heirloom tomato, avocado slices and green leaf lettuce leaves that have been tossed with the lemon juice, as desired.
*If you don’t have a seafood grate for the grill, you can also pan fry the crab cakes using 1/4 cup of canola oil. Heat the oil in a cast iron skillet and cook crab cakes on each side over medium-high heat until golden brown on each side and heated through.
- Combine the egg yolks, garlic, lemon juice, mustard and apple cider vinegar in a food processor. Blend on low until smooth.
- With the food processor remaining on low speed, add oil slowly and steadily. Once all oil is added, taste and season with salt, pepper and extra lemon, if needed.
California Avocado Remoulade:
- Puree avocado with lemon juice in a food processor until mostly smooth.
- Fold avocado mixture and aioli together in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk in mustard, hot sauce, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir in onion, parsley, pickles, garlic and capers.
- Season with salt, pepper and smoked paprika.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Serving Suggestion: For a reduced or lower carb alternative, this recipe can also be served using a green leaf lettuce wrap in lieu of the rustic roll.
Beverage Pairing: Fresh squeezed lemonade or iced sweet tea.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados