Bright, tart grapefruit and Dungeness crab pair perfectly together, but in this recipe it’s the beautifully ripe California Avocado that makes this appetizer sing and draws all of the ingredients together. Best made in advance and chilled, it’s a perfect no-fuss appetizer for a summer brunch or cocktail party.
Crab, California Avocado and Pink Grapefruit Cocktail
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1||large pink grapefruit|
|2||Tbsp.||reserved grapefruit juice|
|1||lb.||lump Dungeness crabmeat, drained|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and diced|
|2||Tbsp.||finely chopped chives|
|Salt, to taste|
|Freshly ground black pepper, to taste|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Cut off the top and bottom of the grapefruit, exposing the fruit. Place flat side on a cutting board, and using a sharp knife, cut the peel away from the grapefruit, removing all the white pith. Discard peel.
- Segment the grapefruits: holding the grapefruit over a bowl, use a paring knife and cut next to the membrane on each side of each segment leaving membrane behind. Let segments fall into the bowl. Once the grapefruit has been segmented, squeeze the leftover membranes into the bowl to extract as much juice as possible. Strain juice into another bowl and set aside. Discard membranes.
- Cut the grapefruit segments in half, set aside.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, add the crabmeat, grapefruit, avocado, chives, olive oil, lime juice, salt and pepper. Gently mix well with a two prong fork, so as not to break up or mash the ingredients.
- Taste for seasoning. Adjust with more salt and pepper, if necessary. Spoon into a large martini glasses and serve.
Note: This appetizer can be made a couple hours ahead and chilled until serving.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Copyright © 2014, Lisa Schroeder
Vitamin A 1055 IU; Vitamin C 43 mg; Calcium 74 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 78 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.15 g
% Daily Value*: Total Fat 31%; Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 70%; Calcium 8%; Iron 8%