This hearty bowl combines all of the delicious elements of a taco, minus the tortilla! Flavorful skirt steak is enhanced with a delicious grilled avocado and corn salsa- perfect for lunch or dinner!
Chimichurri Steak & Grilled Avocado Ancient Grain Bowl
Total Time: 35 min
Prep Time: |
Ingredients4 4-oz. portions skirt steak 6 oz. Chimichurri Sauce Ancient Grain Pilaf (see make-ahead recipe below) 2 15-oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed 1 red onion, diced 2 cups yellow corn, roasted 1/2 cup cilantro leaves 1/4 cup olive oil 1/4 cup lemon juice 1/4 cup red wine vinegar As needed Sea salt, to taste As needed Pepper, to taste Grilled California Avocado-Corn Relish (see make-ahead recipe below) 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and diced 1 Tbsp. toasted sunflower seeds Grilled California Avocado-Corn Relish 2/5 cup olive oil, divided 2 cups fresh corn kernels (about 2-3 ears) 1/2 tsp. sea salt As needed Black pepper, to taste 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced 1 large red bell pepper, cored and seeded 2 poblano chiles, roasted, peeled and seeded 2 green onions, light green and white sections thinly sliced on the diagonal 1/4 cup red wine vinegar Ancient Grain Pilaf 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil 1 clove garlic, minced 1 small onion, finely chopped 4 cremini mushrooms, sliced thin 1 cup pearl barley 1/2 cup wheat berries 1/4 cup millet 1/2 cup wild rice, rinsed 3 cups Chicken stock 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh herbs (any mixture of parsley, thyme, oregano, chives, etc. per your preference) As needed extra virgin olive oil, to taste As needed Salt, to taste As needed Pepper, to taste
- Marinate skirt steak in chimichurri sauce for at least one hour, or overnight, and make Ancient Grain Pilaf.
- Combine beans, red onion, yellow corn, cilantro leaves, olive oil, lemon juice and red wine vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide Ancient Grain Pilaf into four bowls.
- Divide bean mixture among bowls.
- Grill skirt steaks to desired temperature, slice on the bias and add one portion to each bowl.
- Divide Grilled California Avocado-Corn Relish evenly across each bowl.
- Garnish with additional diced California Avocado and toasted sunflower seeds.
Grilled California Avocado-Corn Relish
- Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the corn, salt and pepper, and sauté until the corn is heated through and tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
- Brush the avocado slices with a little of the oil, grill the avocado slices for 30 seconds on each side on a hot grill.
- Cut the avocados, bell pepper and roasted poblanos into a small dice. Add to the sautéed corn along with the green onions, vinegar and remaining olive oil.
- Mix well and let sit for 20 to 30 minutes to blend the flavors. Serve at room temperature.
Ancient Grain Pilaf
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large ovenproof pot with a tightfitting lid, melt butter over low heat. Add oil, garlic, and onion.
- Cook until onions are softened and translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Raise heat to medium high and add mushrooms. Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add grains and stir well, coating them with oil. Cook, stirring often, for about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in stock and bring to a boil. Cover pot and put in oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and cook a little longer if grains need to be softer.
- Fold in chopped herbs.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, and serve hot.*
*Pilaf can be prepared up to 1 day in advance of serving. Cool to store in the fridge and re-heat to serve.
Serving Suggestion: This dish is a meal unto itself – no need for sides or appetizers, it’s a perfect lunch or dinner!
Beverage Pairing: Pair with a fruit-forward red wine.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados