Mashed avocado turns into a creamy sauce when added to warm farro in this easy one-dish recipe. All the prep work is done while the farro cooks. For variation, add other seasonal vegetables like broccoli, asparagus or hearty greens to the water and cook with the farro; tossing the hot grains and vegetables with the avocado sauce.
Farro with California Avocado, Tomato and Basil
|2||cups||cherry tomatoes, halved|
|3||large cloves garlic, minced|
|1/4||cup||juice from a large lemon|
|1||Tbsp.||extra-virgin olive oil|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled|
|1/2||packed cup fresh basil leaves|
|1/4||cup||grated Parmesan cheese (optional)|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Bring 2 quarts of salted water to a boil in Dutch oven or soup kettle. Add farro cook partially covered and stirring frequently at first, until just tender with a little chew, about 30 minutes (or according to package instructions). Reserving 1 cup of farro water, drain and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, lightly sprinkle tomatoes with a pinch of salt. Add oil and basil; toss to coat and set aside.
- Reserving one quarter of avocado for garnish, mash remaining avocado with a fork; add garlic, lemon juice; stir to combine.
- Add avocado mixture to farro, along with enough farro cooking liquid to create a light creamy sauce. Stir in tomatoes and top with reserved diced avocados, and serve, sprinkling with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with a seasonal green salad dressed with vinaigrette.
Beverage Pairing: Rose or sparkling water.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Calories 490; Total Fat 23 g (Sat 4 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 2.5 g, Mono 14 g); Cholesterol <5 mg; Sodium 210 mg; Potassium 830 mg; Total Carbohydrates 58 g; Dietary Fiber 13 g; Total Sugars 3 g; Protein 14 g; Vitamin A 490 IU; Vitamin C 30 mg; Calcium 151 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 1 IU; Folate 122 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.2 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 50%; Calcium 15%; Iron 10%