Two California-grown favorites, artichokes and avocado, combine deliciously in this vegan recipe.
Grilled Artichokes with California Avocado
Total Time: 15 min
Prep Time: |
(Nutrition information is for 1/2 artichoke, stuffed)
Vitamin A 438 IU; Vitamin C 19 mg; Calcium 30 mg; Iron 1.1 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 128 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.2 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 30%; Calcium 2%; Iron 6%
Ingredients2 large California artichokes 2 cups white wine (vegan) 2 cups water 1 head garlic 1 tsp. olive oil 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados* 1 lemon 4 Tbsp. chopped parsley As needed sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Trim and half artichokes, clean out thistle above the hearts carefully with a spoon and discard. Place artichokes into shallow oven-safe pan filled with white wine and water.
- Smash two garlic cloves and set aside. Rough chop and smash remaining garlic and place into pan with artichokes. Place in oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until they are falling apart tender. Remove from pan and drain.
- Sprinkle each half artichoke with sea salt and then drizzle with olive oil.
- Get grill pan super-hot. Place artichokes on the grill until nice grill marks are achieved; remove from pan and set aside.
- Seed, peel and smash avocado. Place in a separate bowl with reserved garlic, zest and strained juice of one lemon and chopped parsley; mix. Sprinkle with sea salt and taste, adding more if needed.
- Spoon avocado mixture into artichoke halves and serve.
Serving Suggestion: Plate two stuffed artichoke halves per person for an entrée serving.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados