Two California-grown favorites, artichokes and avocado, combine deliciously in this vegan recipe.
Grilled Artichokes with California Avocado
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|2||large California artichokes|
|2||cups||white wine (vegan)|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados*|
|As needed||sea salt to taste|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Trim and half artichokes, clean out thistle above the hearts carefully with a spoon and discard. Place artichokes into shallow oven-safe pan filled with white wine and water.
- Smash two garlic cloves and set aside. Rough chop and smash remaining garlic and place into pan with artichokes. Place in oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour or until they are falling apart tender. Remove from pan and drain.
- Sprinkle each half artichoke with sea salt and then drizzle with olive oil.
- Get grill pan super-hot. Place artichokes on the grill until nice grill marks are achieved; remove from pan and set aside.
- Seed, peel and smash avocado. Place in a separate bowl with reserved garlic, zest and strained juice of one lemon and chopped parsley; mix. Sprinkle with sea salt and taste, adding more if needed.
- Spoon avocado mixture into artichoke halves and serve.
Serving Suggestion: Plate two stuffed artichoke halves per person for an entrée serving.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
(Nutrition information is for 1/2 artichoke, stuffed)
Vitamin A 438 IU; Vitamin C 19 mg; Calcium 30 mg; Iron 1.1 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 128 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.2 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 30%; Calcium 2%; Iron 6%