This grain-free twist on tabbouleh salad pairs beautifully with Mediterranean-herbed salmon for a heart healthy dinner. We call this healthy recipe our nutrition powerhouse dish because it provides a more than 100% of the daily value of vitamins B3 (18 mg), an excellent source of vitamin C (90% DV), potassium (30% DV), vitamin E (25% DV) and fiber (21% DV). The Dietary Guidelines for American recommend you get more vitamin D in your diet and this dish provides you with 7 mcg or 35% DV.
Mediterranean Salmon Bowl with a Broccoli Tabbouleh Salad
Total Time: 55 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 150 mcg; Vitamin C 85 mg; Calcium 117 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 7 mcg; Folate 132 mcg
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 90%; Calcium 10%; Iron 20 %; Vitamin D 35%
IngredientsDressing 1/4 cup lemon juice, fresh 3 Tbsp. olive oil 1/8 tsp. garlic powder 1/8 tsp. sea salt 1/8 tsp. pepper Salad 2 cups packaged broccoli rice, or 3.5 cups broccoli florets 1/2 cup Italian parsley leaves, packed 1/4 cup red onion, minced 2 cups Roma tomatoes, diced 1 cup English cucumber, (seedless), unpeeled and diced 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and diced Salmon 1 wild salmon, fillet, cut into 4 pieces 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning herb mix, (no salt) 1/8 tsp. sea salt 1/8 tsp. pepper
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and set aside.
- If using broccoli florets. Place them in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until the broccoli resembles rice. Do not over process.
- Transfer broccoli rice into a large mixing bowl.
- Place the parsley leaves into the food processor and pulse until it is minced well.
- Place the parsley into the bowl with the broccoli rice.
- Add the onion, tomatoes, and cucumbers to broccoli rice.
- Pour dressing over salad, and toss to combine.
- Add the avocado and toss lightly.
- Heat a grill to 400 degrees or high heat, and spray the grill rack with cooking.
- Mix the herb mix, salt and pepper together in a small bowl.
- Rub the herb mixture over each piece of salmon, coating it evenly.
- Grill the salmon, skin-side down, until it flakes apart easily, and it is opaque inside, about 10-15 minutes for a 1-inch thick fillet.
Serving Suggestion: Portion the salad onto 4 plates or large bowls, and serve with a piece of salmon on top.
Beverage Pairing: White or red wine, or ice water with lemon and basil.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados