Caribbean Chicken with California Avocado-Mango Salsa
|12||Whole boneless chicken breasts with skin, 10 to 12 ounces each|
|As needed||Caribbean Dry Rub (recipe follows)|
|As needed||Caribbean Marinade (recipe follows)|
|As needed||Ginger-Coconut Rice (recipe follows)|
|As needed||Spicy Black Bean Broth (recipe follows)|
|As needed||California Avocado Cream (recipe follows)|
|As needed||California Avocado-Mango Salsa (recipe follows)|
|As needed||As needed for garnish - cilantro sprigs|
|As needed||As needed for garnish - sliced California Avocados|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
CARIBBEAN DRY RUB
- Throughly mix 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup Kosher or sea salt, 1/4 cup dried thyme leaves, 2 teaspoons ground allspice, 2 teaspoons dried Scotch bonnet chiles (or habaneros), 2 teaspoons garlic granules, and 1 teaspoon ground cloves.Yield: 2 cups.
- Thoroughly mix 1 cup frosh lime juice, 1/2 cup fresh orange juice, 1/2 cup finely chopped shallots, and 1/3 cup Caribbean Dry Rub. Whisk in 1-1/2 cups olive oil. Yield: 1 quart.
- Thoroughly mix 2-3/4 cups jasmine rice, 2 tablespoons melted butter, 2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger, and 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic in a large pot with cover; reserve. Heat 3 cups chicken stockand 1/2 cup coconut milk. Pour over rice; cover. Bake in a convection oven or conventional oven until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 20 to 30 minutes. Yield: 2-1/4 quarts.
SPICY BLACK BEAN BROTH
- Sauté 1-1/2 ounces diced bacon in 1 tablespoon olive oil until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in 3 tablespoons 1/4-inch diced carrots, 3 tablespoons 1/4-inch diced celery, and 2 tablespoons 1/4-inch diced red onion, and 1 teaspoon chopped garlic; cook, stirring constantly, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup dried black beans that have been soaked, 2 quarts chicken stock, 1 teaspoon Caribbean Dry Rub, 1/2 teaspoon dried Scotch bonnet chilies. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour. (Add boiling water if liquid reduces too fast.) Stir in 1 cup fresh orange juice and 1/4 cup crushed tomatoes with juice; simmer until beans are very tender, 1/2 to 1 hour more. Mixture should have reduced by about half. Puree mixture; strain, discarding solids.
- There should be 2 cups; add chicken stock or reduce, if necessary. Yield: 2 cups.
CALIFORNIA AVOCADO CREAM
- Puree 1 diced California Avocado (8ounces), 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup fresh line juice, 1-1/2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, and 2 teaspoons finely chopped lime zest. Yield:1-1/2 cups.
CALIFORNIA AVOCADO-MANGO SALSA
- Fold together 1 diced mango (12 ounces), 2 diced California Avocados (1 pound), 1/3 cup doced red onion, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice, 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, and 2 teaspoons finely chopped orange zest. Yield: 3 cups.
- Loosen skin on each breast; rub 1 teaspoon Caribbean Dry Rub into flesh under skin. Pour Caribbean Marinade over breasts; marinate 18 to 24 hours.
- Season 1 breast with 1 teaspoon Caribbean Dry Rub. Grill on an indoor or outdoor grill, turning and basting frequently with reserved marinade until outdoor chicken is firm to the touch about 12 minutes.
- Meanwhiles, lightly press 3/4 cup hot rice into a cylindrical mold; unmold rice in center of serving plate. Pour about 2-1/2 tablespoons Spicy Black Bean Broth around rice. Dot 2 tablespoons of California Avocado Cream on the plate. When chicken is done, put it on top of the rice. Top with 1/4 cup California Avocado-Mango Salsa. Garnish with sliced avocado and cilantro.