This recipe takes a traditional quesadilla and provides a unique twist with the use of kimchi along with perfectly sliced California Avocados.
Kimchi Quesadillas with Swiss Cheese and Avocado
Total Time: 20 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 376 mcg; Vitamin C 15 mg; Calcium 923 mg; Iron 3 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 164 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.42 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 40%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 70%; Iron 15 %; Vitamin D 0%
IngredientsKimchi Quesadillas with Swiss Cheese and Avocado Ingredients: 1 Tbsp. salted butter, divided 1/3 cup store-bought kimchi, roughly chopped 2 8-inch flour tortillas 3 slices Swiss cheese, torn to pieces 1 cup arugula, or to taste 1/2 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced 1/8 tsp. salt, or to taste 1/2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped, plus more to garnish 1/2 tsp. sesame seeds, plus more to garnish 6 Tbsp. Lime Crema (see make-ahead recipe below) Lime Crema Ingredients: 6 Tbsp. Greek yogurt 1/2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice 1/8 tsp. salt
Kimchi Quesadillas with Swiss Cheese and Avocado Instructions:
- Place a skillet over medium heat, and when hot, add half of the butter.
- When melted, add the kimchi and cook, stirring often, until kimchi is tender and begins to caramelize, about 4-6 minutes. Turn off the heat and transfer the kimchi to a small bowl and set aside.
- Place one of the tortillas on a plate or cutting board. Scatter the cheese evenly over the tortilla in one even layer, then sprinkle the arugula over the cheese. Slice the avocado half into very thin slices and arrange in a single layer over the arugula and cheese, covering the entire surface of the quesadilla.
- Sprinkle the avocado with salt to taste, then top with the cilantro and sesame seeds. Place the second tortilla over the top to complete the assembly.
- Place the skillet used for the kimchi over medium heat, and when hot, add the remaining salted butter. When melted, place the quesadilla in the pan and cook until the underside is golden, about 2-3 minutes.
- Carefully flip the quesadilla and cook until the second side is golden and the cheese inside has melted, about 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer to a heatproof cutting board or serving plate and cut into quarters. Garnish with additional chopped cilantro and sesame seeds.
- Serve with Lime Crema on the side for dipping and enjoy!
Lime Crema Instructions:
- In a small bowl, stir together all ingredients until smooth and evenly blended.
- Set aside.
Serving Suggestion: Perfect with chips and salsa.
Beverage Pairing: A ice cold Margarita or glass of water.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Did You Know?
You can’t always tell if an avocado is ripe just by its color.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados