This no-cook, quick and easy meal is a refreshing choice for hot summer days. Abundant with colorful and seasonal ingredients like creamy California Avocados, this salad provides an excellent source of Vitamin A and Vitamin C, and good source of folate.
Leafy Green Salad with Fresh Figs, Beets and Avocado
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|3||cups||baby spinach leaves|
|3||cups||baby arugula leaves|
|1/2||cup||red grape tomatoes, halved|
|1/2||cup||orange grape tomatoes, halved|
|1/2||yellow bell pepper, chopped and julienned|
|1/2||cup||fresh, raw beets, peeled and thinly sliced|
|1/4||cup||jicama, peeled and cut into thin strips (matchsticks)|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and diced*|
|1/2||cup||fresh figs, quartered **|
|1/4||cup||feta cheese, crumbled (optional)***|
|Drizzle of balsamic glaze or aged balsamic vinegar|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Wash, spin dry and combine spinach and arugula leaves, and place in a large serving bowl.
- Add red and orange tomatoes, yellow bell pepper, beets, and jicama, and gently toss with greens.
- Top with avocado, almonds, figs, feta, and orange zest.
- Evenly drizzle with almond oil and balsamic glaze.
Serving Suggestion: For an added protein boost, top with grilled chicken, fish or beef.
Beverage Pairing: Pair with sparkling wine such as a California champagne or a dry Prosecco.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
** 1/2 cup of sliced strawberries or small cubes of fresh watermelon may be used in place of figs.
***Vegan without optional feta cheese
(Nutrition Information does not included optional feta cheese)
Vitamin A 1943 IU; Vitamin C 44 mg; Calcium 55 mg; Iron 1.3 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 106 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.1 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 40%; Vitamin C 70%; Calcium 6%; Iron 8%