A tasty sample of the Mediterranean diet on an easy-to-make avocado toast. California Avocado hummus, salmon and olives make this a delicious lunch, snack or protein-happy breakfast with an excellent source of protein (40% DV) and vitamin D (60% DV).
Mediterranean Avocado Toast
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1||tsp.||olive oil, plus additional for drizzling (optional)|
|4||oz.||salmon steak, cut in half|
|1/2||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and diced|
|2||slices||rosemary and olive oil bread, or your favorite bread|
|4||Mediterranean-style olives, pitted and halved|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- In a medium skillet, heat oil on medium.
- Add salmon and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until done. Remove skin.
- Meanwhile, mash half of the avocado into the hummus. Stir in remaining avocado.
- Toast bread, then spread with avocado hummus.
- Top with salmon, flaking with a fork if desired, then olives.
- If desired drizzle with extra olive oil.
Serving Suggestion: Serve on your favorite toast or bagel.
Beverage Pairing: Sparkling rose, pinot noir or fino sherry, for sipping.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 168 IU; Vitamin C 4 mg; Calcium 66 mg; Iron 3 mg; Vitamin D 247 IU; Folate 89 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 8%; Calcium 6%; Iron 15 %; Vitamin D 60%