Portabella, California Avocado and Pepper Jack Sandwich
|24||Portabella mushroom caps (2 ounces each)|
|As needed||Olive oil - as needed|
|As needed||Salt and coursely ground black pepper - as needed|
|Lemon juice, divided - 3 tablespoons + 1/4 cup|
|24||Round sandwich buns|
|24||Pepper Jack cheese, sliced (1-ounce slices)|
|Tomato - 24 large and thin slices|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Brush each portabella cap with oil; sprinkle well with salt and lightly with pepper. Arrange on a sheet pan.
- Bake at 500°F until mushrooms are tender, about 8 minutes; reserve.
- Mix mayonnaise with 3 tablespoons lemon juice and 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper; reserve.
- JUST BEFORE SERVICE
- Roughly dice avocados; gently mix with 1/4 cup lemon juice.
- PER ORDER
- Toast bun. Meanwhile heat 1 portabella cap on the grill or in a hot frying pan. When bun is ready, spread 1/2 tablespoon seasoned mayonnaise on each cut side. Put portabella, stem side up on bottom of bun; fill cap with 1/3 cup diced avocado. Top avocado with 1 slice cheese. Heat in a hot oven until cheese begins to melt, about 2 minutes. Top with 1 lettuce leaf, 1 slice tomato and top of bun.