Portabella, California Avocado and Pepper Jack Sandwich
Ingredients24 Portabella mushroom caps (2 ounces each) As needed Olive oil - as needed As needed Salt and coursely ground black pepper - as needed 2 1/4 cups mayonnaise Lemon juice, divided - 3 tablespoons + 1/4 cup 4 lb. California Avocados 24 Round sandwich buns 24 Pepper Jack cheese, sliced (1-ounce slices) 24 Lettuce leaves Tomato - 24 large and thin slices
- Brush each portabella cap with oil; sprinkle well with salt and lightly with pepper. Arrange on a sheet pan.
- Bake at 500°F until mushrooms are tender, about 8 minutes; reserve.
- Mix mayonnaise with 3 tablespoons lemon juice and 1-1/2 teaspoons pepper; reserve.
- JUST BEFORE SERVICE
- Roughly dice avocados; gently mix with 1/4 cup lemon juice.
- PER ORDER
- Toast bun. Meanwhile heat 1 portabella cap on the grill or in a hot frying pan. When bun is ready, spread 1/2 tablespoon seasoned mayonnaise on each cut side. Put portabella, stem side up on bottom of bun; fill cap with 1/3 cup diced avocado. Top avocado with 1 slice cheese. Heat in a hot oven until cheese begins to melt, about 2 minutes. Top with 1 lettuce leaf, 1 slice tomato and top of bun.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados