This easy to make side dish has many Californian flavors, from walnuts, bell peppers, to California avocados. Due to the amount of diverse vegetables and whole grain this recipe is a nutrition powerhouse providing 150% DV vitamin C and an excellent source of fiber providing 36 DV%, vitamin K 60% DV, vitamin B3 50% DV, B5 40% DV and 24% DV protein. It is also a good source with 15% DV vitamins E, B1 and potassium, along with a 10% DV vitamins A and iron.
Wild Rice Pilaf with California Avocado
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1 1/2||cups||wild rice, dry|
|2 1/2||cups||vegetable broth, low sodium (or water)|
|1/8||tsp.||sea salt, or to taste|
|1||bell pepper, medium, orange-colored, chopped|
|1||bell pepper, medium, red-colored, chopped|
|1||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and cut in 1-in. chunks|
|1/8||tsp.||coarse sea salt, or to taste|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Add wild rice, broth or water, and salt to an Instant Pot® (see below for alternative stove top method).
- Place the lid on Instant Pot® and turn until it locks into place. Make sure to seal the vent. Press manual button and adjust the cooking time to 25 minutes and pressure to high. When Pot beeps, manually release pressure.
- Add bell peppers and walnuts to Pot and mix well.
- Place lid on the Pot and turn until it locks into place. Make sure to seal the vent.
- Press manual button and adjust the cooking time to 3-5 minutes (depending on desired texture of vegetables) and pressure to high.
- When Pot beeps, manually release pressure. Open lid immediately and fluff with a fork.
- Place wild rice mixture into a large bowl, add avocado chunks and coarse sea salt, sprinkle parsley on top.
Alternative Stove Top Cooking Instructions:
Place wild rice, broth or water, and salt in a saucepan with a lid over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and let simmer for 30-35 minutes. Add bell peppers and walnuts, mix well and cook 10 more minutes, or until some of the rice kernels burst open. Drain excess liquid, pour into serving bowl, fluff, add avocado, coarse sea salt and parsley and serve.
Serving Suggestion: This wild rice side dish can be served with grilled salmon, roasted chicken breast, grilled pork chop or a plant-based protein for Meatless Monday.
Beverage Pairing: Glass of white wine.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 111 mcg; Vitamin C 133 mg; Calcium 52 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 146 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.92 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 150%; Calcium 4%; Iron 10 %; Vitamin D 0%