Use as Vegetable or Main Dish
Rice Stuffed California Avocados
Vitamin A 1080 IU; Vitamin C 17 mg; Calcium 188 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 2.3 IU; Folate 107 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.2 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 30%; Calcium 20%; Iron 10%
Ingredients4 Tbsp. butter 1/2 cup regular rice 1/4 cup finely chopped onion 1/4 cup finely chopped celery 1 cup boiling chicken stock 1/2 tsp. salt 1 egg beaten 1 cup grated aged cheddar cheese 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley 3 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled seeded and halved 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- Heat half of the butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add rice and cook until rice is golden, stirring.
- Add onion and celery and continue cooking gently for 3 minutes, stirring.
- Add chicken stock and salt, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender (if rice is still very moist cook with cover off for a few minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- Stir egg, cheese and Worcestershire sauce together with a fork and mix into the rice along with the parsley.
- Heat oven to 350 Degrees F.
- Place avocado in a shallow baking pan and add 1/4 inch hot water to the pan.
- Spoon rice mixture into hollows of avocados.
- Melt remaining butter and combine with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over rice mixture.
- Bake 20 minutes or until crumbs are browned and avocados are hot.
Excellent side dish with grilled or baked chicken.
Try with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados