Use as Vegetable or Main Dish
Rice Stuffed California Avocados
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1/4||cup||finely chopped onion|
|1/4||cup||finely chopped celery|
|1||cup||boiling chicken stock|
|1||cup||grated aged cheddar cheese|
|1/2||cup||chopped fresh parsley|
|3||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled seeded and halved|
|1/2||cup||fine dry bread crumbs|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Heat half of the butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add rice and cook until rice is golden, stirring.
- Add onion and celery and continue cooking gently for 3 minutes, stirring.
- Add chicken stock and salt, cover and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender (if rice is still very moist cook with cover off for a few minutes).
- Remove from heat.
- Stir egg, cheese and Worcestershire sauce together with a fork and mix into the rice along with the parsley.
- Heat oven to 350 Degrees F.
- Place avocado in a shallow baking pan and add 1/4 inch hot water to the pan.
- Spoon rice mixture into hollows of avocados.
- Melt remaining butter and combine with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over rice mixture.
- Bake 20 minutes or until crumbs are browned and avocados are hot.
Excellent side dish with grilled or baked chicken.
Try with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 1080 IU; Vitamin C 17 mg; Calcium 188 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 2.3 IU; Folate 107 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.2 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 30%; Calcium 20%; Iron 10%