Looking for an impressive and simple dish for your next party? This refreshing ceviche recipe with California Avocado can be made ahead for any occasion.
Seafood Ceviche with California Avocado Mousse and Pickled Onions
Total Time: 30 min
Ingredients2 tomatoes, large, ripe 1/4 cup white wine 1 cup water 1 cup sugar 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil 1/2 lb. shrimp, raw, medium-sized, peeled and deveined 1 cup sake 1/2 cup lime juice 1/2 cup pineapple juice 1/2 lb. halibut, diced 4 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled and seeded 1/4 cup sugar 1/4 cup water 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar 1/4 cup lemon juice Salt, to taste Pickled Onions, (see make-ahead recipe below) Pickled Onions Ingredients 1 red onion, peeled and shaved 1 tsp. salt 1/3 cup sugar 1/3 cup lemon juice
- Heat a small sauté pan on low and simmer the tomatoes with white wine, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes or until the mixture is thick.
- In a small saucepan, combine water and sugar and heat until thick.
- Add the tomato and sugar mixtures to a blender to puree and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in same sauté pan on low and add shrimp. Cook gently until pink then remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine tomato mixture, sake, lime juice and pineapple juice. Submerge the shrimp and halibut in the mixture and refrigerate for about 4 hours.
- Combine the avocados, sugar, water, vinegar and lemon juice in a blender until pureed to form the California Avocado Mousse. Add salt to taste and blend again.
- On a plate or shallow bowl, generously spread the Mousse, completely coating the bottom.
- Scoop the ceviche from the container, draining and discarding excess liquid, and carefully place on top of the mousse.
- Top the dish with Pickled Onions and serve immediately.
Pickled Onions Instructions:
- Heat large sauté pan on low and add onions and salt.
- When the onions become translucent, add sugar and lemon juice and mix to combine.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until onions become bright pink.
- Remove onions from pan; transfer to a tray to cool.
Serving Suggestion: Similar to most ceviche preparations, serve the dish immediately upon plating to enjoy the dish cold.
Beverage Pairing: Thanks to the tartness of the lime juice and sake, the ceviche can be most enjoyed with like-minded, bright beverages like a hoppy India Pale Ale or a Sauvignon Blanc.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados