Smoked redfish is a favorite in Louisiana, home of Chef Susan Spicer who created these delicious sliders. California Avocados in a cream cheese blend and a slaw made from mirlitons (chayote squash) make these smoked redfish sliders an unbelievably tasty treat.
Smoked Redfish with Avocado Creole Cream Cheese and Mirliton Slaw on Egg and Onion Buns
Total Time: 30 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 657 IU; Vitamin C 56 mg; Calcium 134 mg; Iron 2.5 mg; Vitamin D 4 IU; Folate 147 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 1.8 g.
Ingredients8 egg and onion slider buns 12 oz. smoked redfish (see make-ahead recipe, below or purchase already-smoked fish) Avocado Creole Cream Cheese (see make-ahead recipe, below) can Mirliton Slaw (see make-ahead recipe, below) Smoked Redfish 1 qt. water 1/4 cup kosher salt 1/4 cup brown sugar 2 bay leaves 2 lb. redfish filet Avocado Creole Cream Cheese 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and mashed 1 cup reduced-fat cream cheese, softened 1/4 cup mayonnaise 1 Tbsp. finely chopped scallion 1 tsp. lemon juice As needed Salt, to taste Mirliton Slaw 3 Tbsp. lime juice 2 Tbsp. apple cider or white vinegar 1/4 tsp. minced garlic 1/2 cup canola or olive oil 1/2 tsp. toasted and chopped cumin seed As needed Salt and pepper, to taste 1 small red onion, finely sliced 1 poblano pepper, finely sliced 1 cup red cabbage, finely sliced 2 mirlitons (chayote squash), peeled and julienned 1/2 bunch cilantro, picked and roughly chopped
Sandwich Assembly Instructions:
- Cut buns in half, smear bottoms with avocado creole cream cheese; top with smoked redfish and mirliton slaw.
Smoked Redfish Instructions:
- Bring water, salt, brown sugar and bay leaves to a boil in a small pot and whisk to dissolve salt and sugar.
- Remove from heat, let cool; pour over the fish filets in a non-reactive container. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight, then remove from brine and place on a rack set over a baking pan.
- Allow to dry on the rack in the refrigerator for an hour then smoke for about 10-15 minutes.
- If cold smoking, you will need to finish cooking the fish in a 325 degree oven, or you can hot smoke until cooked.
- Cut into 1½-oz pieces; reserve any extra for other use. (Be sure to check for bones.)
Avocado Creole Cream Cheese Instructions:
- Mix together all the ingredients until well combined.
Mirliton Slaw Instructions:
- In a small bowl mix together the lime juice, vinegar, garlic, oil, cumin seed, salt and pepper.
- In a larger bowl combine the onion, poblano pepper, red cabbage, mirlitons, and cilantro. Stir or toss to mix thoroughly, then pour dressing over and taste.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with fresh fruit if desired.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger avocados, adjust the quantity accordingly.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados