Spicy Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with California Avocados
|1||lb.||large shrimp (16-20 per pound)|
|2||limes, zest and juice|
|1||Tbsp.||sriracha hot sauce|
|2||sprigs of mint, chopped|
|4||Fresh California Avocado*, thinly sliced|
|3||oz.||Mung bean sprouts|
|3||oz.||Sesame Vinaigrette (recipe follows)|
|3||oz.||Pickled Carrots (recipe follows)|
|24||leaves Thai basil, chopped|
|8||Bibb lettuce leaves|
|Sesame Vinaigrette (Yield: 1 cup)|
|2||oz.||rice wine vinegar|
|1 1/2||tsp.||sesame oil|
|As needed||Salt to taste|
|Pickled Carrots (Yield: 2 cups)|
|2||carrots, peeled and shredded|
|1||1" piece of ginger, peeled and cut in half|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Blend first three ingredients with an immersion blender. Slowly add the vegetable and sesame oil. Whisk in the sesame seeds and salt to taste.
- Place shredded carrots in a large heat proof bowl. Bring remaining ingredients to a simmer over medium high heat. Remove from heat and pour over carrots. Cover bowl tightly and let cool. Once cool, remove ginger pieces, keep carrots refrigerated in the pickling liquid.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Toss shrimp with lime zest and juice, sriracha hot sauce, mint, and a pinch of salt until well coated. Place in a single layer on sheet pan and bake for 8-10 minutes or until cooked through. Let cool, then refrigerate.
- Drain the cold shrimp and slice each thin. Trim the roots from the lettuce leaves and soak briefly in ice water to crisp. Pat dry and lay concave side up.
- Break up glass noodles and add to boiling salted water. Boil for 3-4 minutes or until done. Rinse with cold water.
- Gently toss noodles, sprouts, avocado slices, and shrimp with the sesame vinaigrette. Place ½ – ¾ cup into each lettuce leaf. Sprinkle each with the Thai basil and pickled carrots. Serve.
*A large Fresh California Avocado weighs about 8 oz.