Spicy Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with California Avocados
Ingredients1 lb. large shrimp (16-20 per pound) 2 limes, zest and juice 1 Tbsp. sriracha hot sauce 2 sprigs of mint, chopped 3 oz. glass noodles 4 Fresh California Avocado*, thinly sliced 3 oz. Mung bean sprouts 3 oz. Sesame Vinaigrette (recipe follows) 3 oz. Pickled Carrots (recipe follows) 24 leaves Thai basil, chopped 8 Bibb lettuce leaves Sesame Vinaigrette (Yield: 1 cup) 2 oz. rice wine vinegar 1 oz. soy sauce 1 Tbsp. mirin 3 oz. vegetable oil 1 1/2 tsp. sesame oil 2 Tbsp. sesame seeds As needed Salt to taste Pickled Carrots (Yield: 2 cups) 2 carrots, peeled and shredded 8 oz. cider vinegar 4 1/2 oz. sugar 3 oz. water 1 1" piece of ginger, peeled and cut in half 1 tsp. salt 1/2 tsp. chili flakes
- Blend first three ingredients with an immersion blender. Slowly add the vegetable and sesame oil. Whisk in the sesame seeds and salt to taste.
- Place shredded carrots in a large heat proof bowl. Bring remaining ingredients to a simmer over medium high heat. Remove from heat and pour over carrots. Cover bowl tightly and let cool. Once cool, remove ginger pieces, keep carrots refrigerated in the pickling liquid.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Toss shrimp with lime zest and juice, sriracha hot sauce, mint, and a pinch of salt until well coated. Place in a single layer on sheet pan and bake for 8-10 minutes or until cooked through. Let cool, then refrigerate.
- Drain the cold shrimp and slice each thin. Trim the roots from the lettuce leaves and soak briefly in ice water to crisp. Pat dry and lay concave side up.
- Break up glass noodles and add to boiling salted water. Boil for 3-4 minutes or until done. Rinse with cold water.
- Gently toss noodles, sprouts, avocado slices, and shrimp with the sesame vinaigrette. Place ½ – ¾ cup into each lettuce leaf. Sprinkle each with the Thai basil and pickled carrots. Serve.
*A large Fresh California Avocado weighs about 8 oz.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados