Tri-Tip Seafood Ceviche Stuffed Barbecued California Avocado
|Seafood Ceviche (recipe follows)|
|12||Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded, halved|
|Toasted baguette slices or blue corn chips for serving|
|(Yield: 12 cups)|
|1 1/2||lb.||raw shrimp, peeled, deveined|
|1 1/2||cups||lime juice|
|1||cup||chopped red onion|
|1 1/2||cups||diced cucumber|
|1||cup||chopped cilantro leaves (2 oz.)|
|2||Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded, chopped|
|1/2||cup||blood orange juice|
|Salt to taste|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Prepare a grill over medium heat. Melt the butter and pour it over the tri-tip, then season it with salt, garlic salt, onion powder and dried parsley. Let sit for 30 minutes while the grill is heating up.
- Place the meat on the grill fat side down. Leave for 5 minutes. Flip to the other side and grill for 5 minutes. Flip back to the fat side and grill for 15 minutes, basting with butter after each flip. Start to check for doneness, 135°F for medium rare. Cook longer if you desire medium or well done. Remove from grill and let rest for 15 minutes. Slice meat against the grain, then cut into bite size pieces. You will only need 1 cup (8 oz.) of tri-tip per serving. Reserve remaining tri-tip.
- Rough chop raw shrimp and scallops. Place in a bowl with lime juice, lemon juice and orange juice. Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes, or until shrimp turn opaque and pink.
- Add red onion, jalapeno, cucumber, strawberries, cilantro, cayenne and salt to the shrimp and scallop mixture. Stir to combine. Drain most of the liquid off, leaving just a little juice at the bottom of the bowl. Add blood orange juice and grapefruit juice and mix to coat. Add chopped avocado and stir gently to combine.
Assemble, per order:
- Combine 1 cup Seafood Ceviche and 1 cup Tri-Tip; stir gently and set aside.
- Heat a grill over medium heat. Brush cut sides of avocado halves with honey and olive oil. Season with chipotle powder. Grill halves (cut side down) for 3-5 minutes, until you have some grill marks and avocado halves soften a bit.
- Place two avocado halves on each plate and top each half with ½ cup of the ceviche mixture. Serve with toasted baguette slices or blue corn chips.
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.