A vegan, hearty and nutritious fruit and veggie-packed breakfast with a cholesterol-free eggless scramble. Provides an excellent source of protein (24% DV).
Tofu-Vegetables & Avocado Breakfast Scramble
Total Time: 50 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 83 mcg; Vitamin C 58 mg; Calcium 102 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 63 mcg
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 10%; Vitamin C 60%; Calcium 8%; Iron 10%; Vitamin D 0%
Ingredients1 Tbsp. olive oil 3/4 cup yellow onion, diced 2 cloves garlic, minced 3 baby Bella (cremini) mushrooms, stems removed and sliced 1 cup red bell pepper, diced 1/4 tsp. turmeric 1/8 tsp. black pepper 14 oz. organic tofu, (1 package), extra firm* 1 cup kale leaves, chopped 1/4 tsp. sea salt 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled and seeded
- In a large sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat, and sauté the onions until lightly golden.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms, and red pepper, and sauté for another 3-5 minutes or until the vegetables are softened and cooked through.
- Add the turmeric and pepper and mix to combine with the vegetables.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and crumble the tofu into the vegetable mixture.
- Cook until tofu is heated through (about 3 minutes), and the mixture is well-combined.
- Add the kale and cook until it is slightly wilted.
- Dice half of the avocado, add to mixture along with salt; taste and adjust seasonings, adding additional salt, pepper, and turmeric as needed. Divide among plates.
- Slice remaining avocado and place on top of the scramble.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with whole grain toast or wrapped in a whole grain tortilla if desired for breakfast, brunch, or a meatless dinner.
Beverage Pairing: Coffee, tea, or seltzer water with a generous splash of 100% orange or grapefruit juice.
*Drained well and pressed for about 30 minutes to remove any moisture.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados