Made using an Instant Pot®, these light and tasty lettuce wraps will be one of your favorites. Ground turkey and avocado with a Thai-flavor-infusion get served in cool butter lettuce leaves. Fresh herbs (cilantro, Thai basil, mint or a combination) and lime-marinated onions add a pop of bright flavor. This warm turkey avocado salad can be served as an appetizer or main dish. A multicooker makes for easy preparation.
Turkey & Avocado Larb Lettuce Wraps
Total Time: 25 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 62 mcg; Vitamin C 32 mg; Calcium 28 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 79 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.09 g. % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 35%; Calcium 2%; Iron 10 %; Vitamin D 0%.
Ingredients1 small red onion 4 Tbsp. fresh lime juice, divided 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and cubed Cooking spray 1 lb. lean ground turkey (85 - 93% lean) 1 cup chicken stock 2 Tbsp. fish sauce 1 Tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce 1/2 cup chopped, fresh herbs (cilantro, Thai basil or mint), or more to taste 12 small to medium butter leaf lettuce leaves Sriracha sauce, to taste (optional) 1/2 cucumber, cut into 8 thinly sliced or spiralized pieces 1/2 medium red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and julienned or thinly sliced
- Thinly slice the red onion. Divide the sliced red onion in half. Chop half of the red onions. Place the remaining onion slices in a glass serving bowl with one quarter of the lime juice and set aside for serving.
- In another bowl, toss the cubed avocado with one quarter of the lime juice and set aside.
- In the Instant Pot®, hit the Sauté button. Spray the metal insert with cooking spray. Add in the chopped red onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add in the ground turkey and continue sautéing for 5 minutes, stirring frequently to break up the ground turkey. Meanwhile, in a small liquid measuring cup mix together chicken stock, fish sauce, and low sodium soy sauce. Pour the sauce over the ground turkey. Stir in the lime juice and cubed avocado. Secure the lid and select Pressure Cook. The setting should be High and set cook time for 3 minutes. Because the mixture is warm, the Instant Pot should hit pressure quickly.
- Meanwhile, wash and pat dry butter lettuce leaves. If serving as a main dish, plate 3 leaves each on 4 plates or serve family style on a single platter.
- Once the Instant Pot has completed the pressure cooking, do a quick release to halt cooking. Stir in fresh herbs. Add your remaining lime juice into the Instant Pot and stir. Cut the remaining half into quarters for serving. Place the ground turkey and avocado mixture into a serving bowl, straining off most of the cooking liquid.
- To serve, place ground turkey and avocado mixture into the center of a lettuce leaf, top with lime-marinated red onion slices, spiralized cucumber slices and a fresh squeeze of lime, if desired. For added spice, drizzle with sriracha sauce, to taste. Add more fresh herbs, if desired. These are typically eaten with your hands, like a lettuce wrap.
Variations: Craving more vegetables? Add in spiralized carrots, chopped cucumbers, or thinly sliced peppers for added color, crunch, and nutrition.
Serving Suggestion: Larb also can be served with steamed rice. For a boost of whole grains serve with 1/3 cup cooked quinoa or brown rice, per serving.
Beverage Pairing: Fresh limeade or lime and mint infused water is a perfect complement to these refreshing lettuce wraps.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados