This unique entrée takes a fresh spin on a turf classic, using a cast iron cooking technique to add a hint of smokiness to the California Avocado, complemented by the subtly sweet and spicy flavors of the chipotle vinaigrette.
Cast Iron California Avocado and Peppercorn Filet Mignon with Broken Chipotle Vinaigrette
Total Time: 35 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 55 mcg; Vitamin C 25 mg; Calcium 94 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 138 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.24 g.
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 30%; Calcium 8%; Iron 20 %; Vitamin D 0%.
Ingredients4 (6-oz) filet mignon steaks 1 (7-oz) can chipotle in adobo sauce 3 medium limes 1/4 cup agave nectar 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil 2 Tbsp. pink peppercorn 2 Tbsp. sea salt flakes, divided 2 Tbsp. avocado oil 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, cut in half and seeded 2 tsp. toasted white sesame seeds, for garnish 1/2 bunch cilantro, for garnish
- Remove the filet steaks from the refrigerator and set aside.
- To prepare the chipotle vinaigrette, place the entire contents of the can of chipotle into a blender. Zest 1/3 of the limes then add its juice and zest into the blender with the agave. Run the blender on medium until smooth. Pour the chipotle mixture into a small bowl and gently fold in olive oil. This creates a broken vinaigrette.
- Heat a cast iron pan (a thick sauté pan will also work) over medium high heat.
- Season steaks on both sides with the pink peppercorn and about 2/3 of the sea salt.
- When the pan is hot, add the avocado oil and sear the steaks on both sides – about 3-5 minutes per side for medium rare (an internal temperature of 135° F). Remove the steaks and set aside.
- Gently remove avocado peels.
- While the steaks rest, turn the stove to high heat and place the avocado halves in the cast iron pan flat side down. Sear for 2-3 minutes until charred. Cut each avocado half into thirds. Set aside.
- To finish, slice each filet against the grain on a bias (at a diagonal), and place on a plate. Arrange the avocado wedges around each steak and drizzle chipotle vinaigrette on top of everything.
- Garnish steaks and charred avocado wedges with the toasted sesame seeds, cilantro leaves, the remaining sea salt and zest from the remaining limes. Cut the limes into wedges and serve on the side.
Serving Suggestion: Before serving, squeeze a bit of lime juice for an added zest. For those who prefer less spice, serve the chipotle vinaigrette on the side.
Beverage Pairing: The flavor of the peppercorn and chipotle vinaigrette will pair nicely with a glass of Pinot Noir.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados