This burger stuffed with seasoned goat cheese and Fresh California Avocado then topped with California Avocado Tomatillo Ketchup is bursting with flavor.
California Stuffed Burger with Avocado Tomatillo Ketchup
Total Time: 10 min
Ingredients1 lb. (90/10 lean to fat ratio) ground beef 2 tsp. ground chipotle seasoning 1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro 2/3 ripe Fresh California Avocado, mashed 2 1/2 oz. goat cheese 1 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallions, white and light green parts only 1/4 tsp. sea salt As needed Water, as needed 4 whole wheat hamburger buns 6 Tbsp. California Avocado Tomatillo Ketchup 1 cup chopped romaine lettuce 1 beefsteak tomato, sliced Fresh California Avocado Tomatillo Ketchup (Yield ¾ cup) 1/2 cup Salsa Verde 1/3 ripe, Fresh California Avocado 1 serrano chile, roasted and seeded (optional) 1 tsp. minced scallion, white and light green parts only 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- Mix together the ground beef, chipotle seasoning and cilantro. Separate into 8 portions and pat each into 3 ½-inch circles.
- Mix together the mashed Fresh California Avocado, goat cheese, scallion and salt. Top half of the patties with the avocado mixture and spread to within ¼ inch of the edge.
- With your fingers brush the edge of the topped patty with water and then top it with an unfilled patty. Press edges to seal tightly, and then press in edges to form a smooth round circle.
- Grill patties on a BBQ or in a non-stick sauté pan, 4-5 minutes per side until cooked.
- While grilling, in a food processer whirl together the salsa verde, California Avocado for the ketchup, serrano chile (if desired), scallion and lime juice.
- While grilling toast the whole wheat buns, and top them with romaine lettuce and tomato.
- Place freshly grilled stuffed burgers on top the dressed buns, then top each with 1 ½ Tbsp. of California Avocado Tomatillo Ketchup. Use the remaining Ketchup as a dip or salad accent.
Variation: For different flavor stuff the burger with mashed Fresh California Avocado mixed with other cheeses, such as shredded Pepperjack, and top with a tomato salsa.
Serving suggestion: Add chips and veggies to dip in the extra Fresh California Avocado Tomatillo Ketchup for a crispy accompaniment.
Beverage Pairings: Enjoy with fresh-squeezed fruit juice.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados