Pasta, California Avocado, Pancetta, Tomato, and Hot Pepper Pasta
Ingredients1 1/2 lb. chopped onion 2 oz. unsalted butter 1/4 cup olive oil 1 lb. and 4 ounces pancetta, sliced 1/4-inch thick, cut in 1-inch, thin strips 3 quarts canned Italian tomatoes, chopped (with juice) 4 small, dried hot red pepper, chopped finely As needed Salt, as needed 6 lb. penne or other short pasta 8 oz. grated Parmesan 4 oz. grated Pecorino Romano 14 California Avocados 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Sauté onion in butter and oil until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in pancetta strips; sauté until cooked but not browned, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato and juice, hot pepper, and 1/2 tablespoon salt.
- Simmer, uncovered, until liquid reduces and fats pool on surface, about 35 minutes.
- Add more salt to taste, if necessary; reserve.
- Mix Parmesan and Romano; reserve.
- Just before service, slice two avocados for garnish; mix with lemon juice. Reserve.
- PER ORDER
- Cook 4 ounces pasta in salted, boiling water until just tender, about 8 minutes; drain well. Meanwhile mix 3/4 cup sauce and 1/2 avocado, diced, in a sauté pan; heat through. When pasta is cooked and drained, stir it into the sauce; remove from heat. Stir in 2 tablespoons cheese. Mound on a serving plate. Garnish with 2 slices avocado.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados