It doesn’t get more classic Californian than a California Avocado Chicken Burrito. This recipe brings a taste of this Oceanside favorite right to your kitchen.
California Avocado Chicken Burrito
Total Time: 35 min
Prep Time: |
Ingredients1/2 cup tomatoes, finely diced 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped 1/3 cup white onion, chopped 1 Tbsp. lime juice 3/4 lb. chicken breasts 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil 1/8 tsp. Kosher salt, or to taste As needed Freshly ground black pepper, to taste 2 flour tortillas, extra-large 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese 1 head green leaf lettuce, shredded 1 As needed ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced
- Combine tomatoes, cilantro, white onion and lime juice in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Rub the chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet to medium-high heat and add the chicken. Cook until browned and char marks start to appear, about 5 minutes.
- Flip and continue to cook until the chicken is browned and just cooked through (or reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F), about an additional 4 minutes.
- Remove to a cutting board and let cool. Chop the chicken into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add one tortilla at a time to the pan and sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese over the top, cooking until the cheese just melts.
- Remove tortilla to a clean workspace and add the lettuce, half of the chicken, slices of avocado and tomato/onion mixture.
- To assemble the burrito, fold the bottom half over the top half then pull the tortilla back to form the filling into a roll. Fold one side in then the other, then tightly roll the burrito.
- Heat the skillet to low-medium heat and add the burrito, wrap side down, to the skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Flip and brown the other side, about another 2 minutes. Remove, cut in half and serve immediately. Repeat with the remaining tortilla and ingredients.
Serving Suggestion: For spicy food lovers, add a few dashes of hot sauce between bites for extra kick.
Beverage Pairing: Try an American pale ale – its citrus and herbaceous notes will complement similar flavors in the burrito.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Did You Know?
You can’t always tell if an avocado is ripe just by its color.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados