California Avocado Confit
|2||quarter sections California Avocado Confit, warm (recipe follows)|
|2||Tbsp.||warm confit oil|
|1||tsp.||grated pecorino cheese|
|2||tsp.||black sesame seeds, toasted|
|As needed||black pepper|
|4||slices toasted baguette|
|Confit California Avocado(Yield: 16 quartered California Avocados)|
|4||Fresh California Avocados*, peeled, quartered, seeded|
|2||oz.||sweet onion, finely minced|
|3||cups||Extra virgin olive oil|
|1 1/2||cups||avocado oil|
|2||oz.||black sesame seeds, toasted|
|As needed||Maldon salt|
|1||whole garlic clove, crushed with knife|
|As needed||Ground black pepper, freshly ground|
|As needed||Grated pecorino|
|32||toasted baguette slices, ½-inch thick|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
To build one
- For one serving, place two California Avocado Confit quarters on their sides, skin side face-up in a 4 oz. oval ceramic (or other decorative) dish.
- Pour the confit oil over the avocado to coat it. Then evenly apply the pecorino cheese and black sesame seeds to the surface to achieve an “avocado skin” look.
- Twist of black pepper over the top, and add a small pinch of Maldon salt to finish.
- Place two Confit Avocados in a 4 oz. ceramic dish. Garnish with 4 slices of toasted baguette arranged around the Confit California Avocado, and serve immediately.
Confit California Avocado
- In a large pot, heat the oil, garlic and onion to 225°F.
- Cut the California Avocados-skin on- into quarters. Remove the pit, and peel off the skin.
- Put California Avocado quarters in a stainless steel pan at least 2 inches deep.
- Pour the hot oil over the avocados to cover (onion and garlic pieces can remain).
- Place uncovered into a 225°F oven for 15 minutes. Remove and let sit on a speed rack at ambient temperature for 30-45 minutes.
- Confit Avocados should be served slightly warm. Keep Confit Avocados covered in oil until they are plated and served.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.