California Avocado, Cranberry and Pistachio Biscotti
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1 1/4||cups||dried cranberries|
|1/3||cup||fresh orange juice|
|2||tsp.||grated orange peel|
|1/4||cup||mashed ripe Fresh California Avocado|
|2||Tbsp.||fresh lemon juice|
|2/3||cup||shelled pistachio nuts|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- In a small pan, combine cranberries and orange juice. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, stir in orange peel and let stand until ready to use.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine avocado, lemon juice and sugar. Beat for 1 minute until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, to avocado mixture, beating well until blended. Add vanilla and beat until mixed in.
- With beater at medium speed, add flour mixture, one cup at a time, scraping down bowl after each cup. Beat until blended.
- Mix in cranberry-orange mixture and pistachio nuts by hand, blending well.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured board. Divide mixture in half. Roll each half on board until lightly coated with flour; form into a 1/2-inch thick and 4-inch wide log. Brush top of each log with milk.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Transfer logs to cookie sheet. Bake in preheated 325°F oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove logs from oven and place on cooling rack. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Slice each log into 1/2-inch thick slices. Place a cooling rack on a cookie sheet and arrange slices, cut side up. Bake in 300°F oven for 15 minutes. Turn each cookie over and bake additional 15 minutes; cool. Repeat process with remaining slices. Cool and store in airtight container.
Tip: 1/4 cup mashed avocado is equivalent to approximately 1/4 of a large avocado. Remaining avocado can be used for other recipes, or when mashed, can be stored in freezer for future use.
Yields: 32 biscotti cookies
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 42 IU; Vitamin C 2 mg; Calcium 6 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 19 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 0%; Iron 4%