California Avocado, Cranberry and Pistachio Biscotti
Total Time: 10 min
Vitamin A 42 IU; Vitamin C 2 mg; Calcium 6 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 19 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 0%; Iron 4%
Ingredients1 1/4 cups dried cranberries 1/3 cup fresh orange juice 2 tsp. grated orange peel 3 cups all-purpose flour 2 tsp. baking soda 1 tsp. kosher salt 1/4 cup mashed ripe Fresh California Avocado 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice 3/4 cup granulated sugar 3 large eggs 2 tsp. vanilla extract 2/3 cup shelled pistachio nuts 1 Tbsp. low-fat milk
- In a small pan, combine cranberries and orange juice. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, stir in orange peel and let stand until ready to use.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine avocado, lemon juice and sugar. Beat for 1 minute until smooth.
- Add eggs, one at a time, to avocado mixture, beating well until blended. Add vanilla and beat until mixed in.
- With beater at medium speed, add flour mixture, one cup at a time, scraping down bowl after each cup. Beat until blended.
- Mix in cranberry-orange mixture and pistachio nuts by hand, blending well.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured board. Divide mixture in half. Roll each half on board until lightly coated with flour; form into a 1/2-inch thick and 4-inch wide log. Brush top of each log with milk.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Transfer logs to cookie sheet. Bake in preheated 325°F oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove logs from oven and place on cooling rack. Allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Slice each log into 1/2-inch thick slices. Place a cooling rack on a cookie sheet and arrange slices, cut side up. Bake in 300°F oven for 15 minutes. Turn each cookie over and bake additional 15 minutes; cool. Repeat process with remaining slices. Cool and store in airtight container.
Tip: 1/4 cup mashed avocado is equivalent to approximately 1/4 of a large avocado. Remaining avocado can be used for other recipes, or when mashed, can be stored in freezer for future use.
Yields: 32 biscotti cookies
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados