Fiber (32% DV) from the avocado and bulgur along with protein (22% DV) from the egg ensure this hearty breakfast bowl will keep you fueled throughout the day. Bulgur is a quick-cooking whole grain that you can batch cook ahead of time by boiling for 12-15 minutes and then draining off the excess liquid. Scramble, hard-boil, poach or fry the egg depending on your preference and serve with sriracha or hot sauce to spice things up.
California Avocado, Egg and Bulgur Breakfast Bowl
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|1/2||cup||cooked bulgur, (made from about 3 tablespoons dry bulgur)|
|5||cherry tomatoes, (or grape tomatoes), quartered|
|1/3||ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced|
|1/8||tsp.||sea salt, or to taste|
|1/8||tsp.||pepper, or to taste|
|1||Tbsp.||parsley, or cilantro, chopped|
|sriracha, or other hot sauce for topping (optional)|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Cook bulgur according to package directions.
- Heat a small non-stick skillet over low heat and fry egg to desired doneness.
- Or, boil water and boil or poach egg.
- Assemble breakfast bowl with cooked bulgur, cherry tomatoes and sliced avocado. Squeeze lime juice on avocado slices and top with egg.
- Sprinkle assembled breakfast bowl with smoked paprika and add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro and serve with sriracha or other hot sauce if desired.
Serving Suggestion: Cook your egg the way you like it, scrambled, hard-boiled, poached or fried.
Beverage Pairing: Cup of coffee or green tea.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 142 mcg; Vitamin C 27 mg; Calcium 62 mg; Iron 3 mg; Vitamin D 1 mcg; Folate 95 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.12 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 15%; Vitamin C 30%; Calcium 4%; Iron 15%; Vitamin D 6%