California Avocado Milanesa Torta Sliders
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|3||eggs, lightly beaten|
|4||ripe Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and quartered|
|3||ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded|
|As needed||Salt, to taste|
|As needed||vegetable oil (for frying)|
|8||smoked bacon slices, cooked until crisp and cut in half|
|1||cup||refried beans, warmed|
|1||cup||shredded romaine lettuce|
|1||cup||shredded Queso Oaxaca|
|3||plum tomatoes, thinly sliced|
|1||small white onion, thinly sliced into rings|
|16||slices pickled jalapeño|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Place flour, eggs and breadcrumbs in separate bowls. Season breadcrumbs with salt.
- Dredge avocado quarters first in flour, then egg and then breadcrumbs, set aside.
- Toast chiles in a hot, dry skillet until they become flexible and slightly translucent; about 30 seconds. Place chiles into a bowl of boiling water and weight down with a plate to keep them submerged. Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Strain chiles and reserve the soaking liquid. Place chiles in a blender, along with the mayonnaise. Puree on high speed, using a little of the soaking liquid as needed to move the blades. Season with salt to taste.
- Heat about 1/2-inch of oil in a large skillet to 350°F.
- Fry avocados, a few at a time, about 3 minutes or so on each side until they are golden brown.
- Place avocados, along with the bacon, on a baking sheet and put into a 200ºF oven, to keep warm while continuing with the next steps.
- Split open the rolls and scoop out excess bread. Toast under a broiler until golden.
- For each slider, spread the top half with the mayonnaise mixture.
- Spread the bottom half with the refried beans.
- Lay a bacon strip on the bottom half of the roll.
- Place an avocado quarter on top of the bacon.
- Top with lettuce, cheese and slices of tomato and onion. Add the top half of the roll.
- Secure top of the roll with a toothpick speared with a pickled jalapeño slice and serve warm.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Copyright © Ivy Stark/Dos Caminos
Vitamin A 2209 IU; Vitamin C 15 mg; Calcium 137 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 99 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.2 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 45%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 15%; Iron 20%