California Avocado Milanesa Torta Sliders
Total Time: 10 min
Vitamin A 2209 IU; Vitamin C 15 mg; Calcium 137 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 99 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.2 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 45%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 15%; Iron 20%
Ingredients1 cup all-purpose flour 3 eggs, lightly beaten 2 cups panko breadcrumbs 1 tsp. salt 4 ripe Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and quartered 3 ancho chiles, stemmed and seeded 1/2 cup mayonnaise As needed Salt, to taste As needed vegetable oil (for frying) 8 smoked bacon slices, cooked until crisp and cut in half 8 slider rolls 1 cup refried beans, warmed 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce 1 cup shredded Queso Oaxaca 3 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced 1 small white onion, thinly sliced into rings 16 toothpicks 16 slices pickled jalapeño
- Place flour, eggs and breadcrumbs in separate bowls. Season breadcrumbs with salt.
- Dredge avocado quarters first in flour, then egg and then breadcrumbs, set aside.
- Toast chiles in a hot, dry skillet until they become flexible and slightly translucent; about 30 seconds. Place chiles into a bowl of boiling water and weight down with a plate to keep them submerged. Allow to sit for 15 minutes.
- Strain chiles and reserve the soaking liquid. Place chiles in a blender, along with the mayonnaise. Puree on high speed, using a little of the soaking liquid as needed to move the blades. Season with salt to taste.
- Heat about 1/2-inch of oil in a large skillet to 350°F.
- Fry avocados, a few at a time, about 3 minutes or so on each side until they are golden brown.
- Place avocados, along with the bacon, on a baking sheet and put into a 200ºF oven, to keep warm while continuing with the next steps.
- Split open the rolls and scoop out excess bread. Toast under a broiler until golden.
- For each slider, spread the top half with the mayonnaise mixture.
- Spread the bottom half with the refried beans.
- Lay a bacon strip on the bottom half of the roll.
- Place an avocado quarter on top of the bacon.
- Top with lettuce, cheese and slices of tomato and onion. Add the top half of the roll.
- Secure top of the roll with a toothpick speared with a pickled jalapeño slice and serve warm.
Copyright © Ivy Stark/Dos Caminos
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados