Thanks to its quinoa crust, perfectly ripened California Avocados, and array of Mediterranean colors and flavors, this dish is an excellent source of protein and a good source of calcium, iron and vitamin A. Plus, it provides 5 grams of “good” mono and polyunsaturated fats.
California Avocado Quinoa Breakfast Bake
Total Time: 20 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 619 (IU); Vitamin C 2 mg; Calcium 154 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 64 (IU); Folate 60 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0 g
% Daily Value*: Total Fat 13%; Vitamin A 12%; Vitamin C 3%; Calcium 15%; Iron 10%
IngredientsOlive oil spray 8 large eggs 1 1/2 cups nonfat (skim) milk 1/2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and diced 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese 1/4 cup diced sun dried tomatoes 1/2 cup chopped raw spinach 1/2 tsp. dried thyme 1/2 tsp. dried oregano 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained 1/4 tsp. salt 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray quiche pan with olive oil spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and milk; stir in avocado, feta cheese, sun dried tomatoes, spinach, thyme, oregano, quinoa and salt.
- Pour into prepared quiche dish, cover tightly with foil, and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until set.
- Remove quiche from oven, remove foil, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and return to oven for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let quiche stand for 10 minutes prior to serving.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados