California Avocados are not only celebrated for their premium quality; however arguably most valued for their versatility. This innovative recipe stands as the perfect example to the fruit’s wide range for possibility.
Charred California Avocado Salad with Pistachio Gremolata
|2||ripe Fresh California Avocado, halved, seeded and peeled|
|1/8||tsp.||salt, or to taste|
|Freshly ground black pepper, to taste|
|1/4||cup||extra-virgin olive oil|
|1/3||cup||pistachio oil or sunflower oil|
|3||lemons, juiced and zested|
|6||cups||Mixed greens, washed|
|Salt and pepper, to taste|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Brush honey on cut side of each avocado and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat grapeseed oil in a non-stick pan on medium until smoking.
- Place each avocado half cut side down in the pan to fully sear, until the honey caramelizes into a dark, golden color.
- Once golden, remove avocado halves to cool to room temperature and set aside.
- To make the gremolata, combine pistachios, olive oil, pistachio oil, chives, lemon juice and zest in a mixing bowl.
- In a larger mixing bowl, combine mixed greens, carrots, celery, radish, turnips and enough gremolata to dress the salad.
- Spoon approximately 2 cups of the dressed salad mixture on a plate.
- Place each skinned, halved avocado on a plate, char side up, and spoon another small portion of gremolata on top of the avocado, filling it.
- Use any remaining salad mixture to fill the plate, topping the gremolata over the full dish.
Serving Suggestion: Pair the dish before or alongside a lean protein like grilled chicken.
Beverage Pairing: Pair with a glass of crisp Sauvignon Blanc to help cut the sweetness of the salad’s honey-charred fruit.