California Avocados are not only celebrated for their premium quality; however arguably most valued for their versatility. This innovative recipe stands as the perfect example to the fruit’s wide range for possibility.
Charred California Avocado Salad with Pistachio Gremolata
Total Time: 20 min
Prep Time: |
Ingredients2 ripe Fresh California Avocado, halved, seeded and peeled 2 Tbsp. honey, orange 1/8 tsp. salt, or to taste Freshly ground black pepper, to taste 2 Tbsp. grapeseed oil 1/4 cup pistachios, chopped 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil 1/3 cup pistachio oil or sunflower oil 3 lemons, juiced and zested 3 Tbsp. chives, diced 6 cups Mixed greens, washed 1/4 cup carrots, shaved 1/4 cup celery, shaved 1/4 cup radishes, shaved 1/4 cup turnip, shaved Salt and pepper, to taste
- Brush honey on cut side of each avocado and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat grapeseed oil in a non-stick pan on medium until smoking.
- Place each avocado half cut side down in the pan to fully sear, until the honey caramelizes into a dark, golden color.
- Once golden, remove avocado halves to cool to room temperature and set aside.
- To make the gremolata, combine pistachios, olive oil, pistachio oil, chives, lemon juice and zest in a mixing bowl.
- In a larger mixing bowl, combine mixed greens, carrots, celery, radish, turnips and enough gremolata to dress the salad.
- Spoon approximately 2 cups of the dressed salad mixture on a plate.
- Place each skinned, halved avocado on a plate, char side up, and spoon another small portion of gremolata on top of the avocado, filling it.
- Use any remaining salad mixture to fill the plate, topping the gremolata over the full dish.
Serving Suggestion: Pair the dish before or alongside a lean protein like grilled chicken.
Beverage Pairing: Pair with a glass of crisp Sauvignon Blanc to help cut the sweetness of the salad’s honey-charred fruit.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados