This is a versatile recipe that can be prepared as a sandwich or as a warm salad. The creamy California Avocado sauce perfectly complements the grilled sirloin beef, which is a lean protein. Overall, this recipe has many of the 13 essential nutrients and other great benefits that come from eating avocados. Learn why California Avocados are a superfruit through our nutrition facts!
California Avocado Steak Sandwich
Total Time: 30 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 29 mcg; Vitamin C 14 mg; Calcium 173 mg; Iron 6 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 148 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.31 g.
IngredientsFor the marinade 1/2 cup lime juice 1/4 cup chopped cilantro 1 tsp. sea salt 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil 1 1/2 lb. beef sirloin, 1.5 inch thick For the sauce 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and diced 1 oz. parmesan cheese, shredded 1 Tbsp. lime juice For the toppings 1 tsp. olive oil 1 medium red onion, sliced 1 1/2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar glaze For the sandwich 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, peeled, seeded and sliced 8 slices whole grain bread of choice 1/8 tsp. sea salt, optional
- Whisk together lime juice, cilantro, sea salt, black pepper and extra virgin olive oil in a medium size bowl.
- Add beef and marinate for at least 1 hour at room temperature, or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Pre-heat grill to 400 degrees F. Discard marinade.
- Grill beef for 7 minutes on each side for medium done steak.
- Let it cool for about 5 minutes, then thinly slice beef.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados