This is so easy. This is one of those recipes that I can figure out in moments and have dinner quickly on the table for my kids on a busy school night. The better they eat, the better we all sleep.
Chicken Paillard with Avocado, Roasted Shiitake Mushrooms and Mustard Vinaigrette
Total Time: 20 min
Vitamin A 259 (IU); Vitamin C 9 mg; Calcium 34 mg; Iron 2 mg; Vitamin D 941 (IU); Folate 106 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.3 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 15%; Calcium 4%; Iron 15%
Ingredients1/2 lb. shiitake mushrooms 3 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil 2/3 tsp. kosher salt Mustard vinaigrette (see below) 2 stalks celery, peeled and thinly sliced on the bias 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados* 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice 4 (1/4-lb.) boneless chicken breasts freshly ground black pepper 1/2 lb. shiitake mushrooms Mustard Vinaigrette Ingredients 1 Tbsp. grain mustard 1 tsp. honey 1/2 cup Extra virgin olive oil 3 Tbsp. cider vinegar 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika 1/3 tsp. kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. First let’s roast the mushrooms. Using a sharp paring knife remove the root ends of each of the mushrooms. Place in a medium sized bowl and toss with 2/3 of the olive oil. Season the mushrooms with 1/3 of the kosher salt. Toss well and then place on a sheet pan and roast in the hot oven for 15 to 17 minutes or until golden and roasted.
- While the mushrooms are roasting make the vinaigrette. Get a small whisk and a heavy bowl. You can place the bowl on a damp paper towel so it doesn’t move while you’re whisking. Place the mustard and the honey in the bowl and slowly whisk in the olive oil. Add the vinegar, parsley and the paprika. Season with the kosher salt and whisk to combine. If it’s too thick you can add a touch of water to thin. Reserve.
- Get your grill going to a hot temperature. I like charcoal but gas is fine as well.
- Take a piece of plastic wrap about a foot long and place it on a cutting board. Drizzle a couple of drops of olive oil on the plastic wrap and then place one chicken breast over the oil. Drizzle with a touch more olive oil and then place another piece of plastic wrap on top of the chicken. Pound to ¼-inch thickness using the smooth side of meat tenderizing mallet. Repeat until all the chicken breasts are pounded thin. Season the chicken with the remaining salt.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side and then reserve to a waiting platter.
- Seed, peel and slice the avocados. Combine the roasted shiitakes, avocados, and celery in a bowl and add the lemon juice. Toss to combine and garnish the chicken with the avocado and mushroom salad. Drizzle the platter with mustard vinaigrette and serve immediately.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados