This simple one-skillet dinner makes an easy meal for one person, including lemony chicken breast and a brown rice and vegetable medley made extra special with creamy California Avocado. With an excellent source of dietary fiber (29% DV) and potassium (25% DV), as well as a high-potency of vitamin C (130% DV), an antioxidant that promotes healing and helps the body absorb iron, this dish is both delicious and nutritious.
Avocado Chicken & Brown Rice Veggie Medley
Total Time: 35 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 206 mcg; Vitamin C 119 mg; Calcium 52 mg; Iron 3 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 140 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.1 g
Ingredients1 boneless skinless chicken breast, (5 oz.) 1/8 tsp. sea salt, divided 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, divided 1/4 cup diced yellow onion 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper 1/2 cup chopped fresh baby spinach or kale 1/2 tsp. minced fresh garlic 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes 1/2 cup cooked brown rice 1/2 tsp. fresh minced basil or parsley 1/4 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and cubed
- Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken in a single layer, and sprinkle with half the salt. Cook for 7 minutes.
- Flip and cook for another 5-10 minutes, until chicken is done. Sprinkle with half the lemon juice. Remove from skillet and set aside and cover. In the same skillet, add onion and bell pepper. Turn heat to medium. Sauté for 5 minutes, then add spinach or kale. Cook veggies for 5 minutes more or until onions and peppers are lightly browned and soft.
- Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes; cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove skillet from heat. Add rice and remaining salt to vegetables. Stir well.
- Stir in basil, avocado, and remaining lemon juice. Serve immediately with chicken.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados