Beat the summer heat with these creamy, cool stuffed avocados with chicken that are perfect for backyard get-togethers and summer barbeques. Topped with tangy BBQ Chicken Salad, these stuffed California Avocados can be prepped ahead of time for easy party serving.
Grilled BBQ Chicken Salad Stuffed California Avocados
Total Time: 40 min
Prep Time: |
Ingredients3 lb. chicken breast halves, on the bone and brined (see make ahead brine recipe below) 1 cup aioli (see make ahead recipe below) 2 Tbsp. sliced celery leaf, (from tender inner celery stalks) 2 Tbsp. sliced parsley 1/2 cup Finely diced red onion 2 tsp. strained fresh lemon juice 2 small lemons, zested 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard 2 tsp. salt 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper, or to taste 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, halved and seeded As needed Fresh chives, chopped finely for garnish Chicken Brine: 4 qt. water 1 cup salt 1 cup brown sugar Aioli: 2 egg yolks 1 1/4 tsp. minced garlic 1/4 lemon, juice only 1/4 Tbsp. Dijon mustard 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar 1 1/2 cups canola oil 1/8 tsp. salt, or to taste 1/8 tsp. pepper, or to taste
- Remove chicken from brine and pat dry.
- On medium-high heat, grill the chicken breasts beginning skin side down, then flipping and finishing bone-side down until cooked through, about 6 – 8 minutes on each side.
- Cool chicken, remove skin and bones, then dice into 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch cubes.
- Mix aioli with celery leaf, parsley, onion, lemon juice, lemon zest, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Add diced chicken to aioli mixture. Season with salt, to taste.
- Spoon into avocado halves and garnish with fresh chives.
- In a 6 quart pot, bring water to boil over a high heat.
- Once water is boiling, add salt and sugar.
- Stir all ingredients until fully dissolved.
- Once fully dissolved, remove from heat and let cool to room temperature before using to brine the chicken.
- Brine chicken for one hour in cold brine.
- Combine the egg yolks, garlic, lemon juice, mustard and apple cider vinegar in a food processor. Blend on low until smooth.
- With the food processor remaining on low speed, add oil slowly and steadily. Once all oil is added, taste and season with salt, pepper and extra lemon, if needed.
Serving Suggestion: Double or triple the recipe for a great party appetizer! Prep them ahead so all you need to do when guests arrive is serve.
Beverage Pairing: Arnold Palmer.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados