The ricotta goat cheese blend together with the delicious creamy California Avocados, make for a refreshing and tasty flat bread. This one is topped with green olives, red onion, arugula and radicchio but you can add any fresh vegetable to your liking.
Confit Garlic California Flatbread
Total Time: 8 h 25 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 171 mcg; Vitamin C 11 mg; Calcium 150 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 252 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.14 g % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 10%; Calcium 10%; Iron 20 %; Vitamin D 0%
Ingredients1 lb. flatbread dough, room temperature (see below) Ricotta goat cheese blend (see below) 10 garlic confit cloves (see below) 2 Tbsp. green olives, pitted and roughly chopped 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced into half moons 1/3 cup thinly sliced radicchio 1/3 cup wild arugula 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, seeded, peeled and sliced Extra virgin olive oil (leftover from garlic confit), for drizzling For the flatbread dough: 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for dusting 1 packet instant yeast 2 tsp. kosher salt 1 1/2 cups warm water For the ricotta goat cheese blend: 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese 4 oz. chevre, room temperature 3 Tbsp. heavy cream 2/3 tsp. kosher salt 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper For the garlic confit: 2 heads of garlic, cloves peeled 1 cup extra virgin California olive oil
Prepare the flatbread dough:
- In a stand mixer bowl with the dough hook attached, combine the flour, yeast, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Pour in warm water and start the mixer or mix by hand. Mix for 8 minutes until dough starts creeping up the dough hook and bounces back when touched.
- Divide dough into 2 equal-sized pieces. Form them into balls. Lightly dust a sheet tray with flour. Place the dough balls on the floured tray and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise for 5-6 hours. Yields two doughs.
Prepare the ricotta goat cheese blend:
- Combine the ricotta, chevre, cream, salt, and black pepper and chill until ready to use.
Prepare the garlic confit:
- Heat oven to 250 degrees. Add the garlic and oil to a small saucepan. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake until garlic is extremely tender, about 2 hours. Allow to cool then transfer to an airtight container for storage.
- Dust work surface lightly with flour and stretch 1 ball of dough into an oval shape roughly the same size as a half sheet tray. Place the dough on a parchment lined sheet tray.
- Spread with ricotta goat cheese mixture leaving a ½ inch crust.
- Liberally add the confit garlic to the top of the cheese and top with green olives and red onion.
- Drizzle with some of the confit oil.
- Bake for 20- 25 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and top with the radicchio, arugula, and California avocado. Slice into squares for serving.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with a size salad or cut into smaller pieces for an appetizer. Beverage Pairing: Beer, wine or your sparkling water.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados