There’s this restaurant right off the beach where my husband and I used to live, and they have the most incredible burgers I’ve ever eaten. They’re legendary, epic even. Everyone who visited us was treated to a trip to the surf club, and every single person left a believer.
While the surf club burgers were the thing that drew you in, along with live music and a gorgeous patio – their Queso Blanco is the true star of the show. You probably think you know Queso, but you don’t know this Queso. This Queso is a piping hot bowl of white cheese dip with a heaping dollop of guacamole smack dab in the center and it’s so amazing that if there are more than 2 adults, you have to order two orders because the bowl will be licked clean.
I’ve played around with Queso Blanco for a while now, and while it’s delicious all by itself the giant scoop of fresh guacamole in the center of it blends with the hot cheese and spices in a way that’s absolutely magical. Served with tortilla chips, pita chips, hot tortillas, or poured over black bean smeared tostadas – this will make your appetizer the star of your next barbecue, fantasy football draft party, bunco party, or just because you’ve got a craving for some incredible Mexican food.
Seriously y’all, you have to make this. It’s incredibly easy to make and comes together pretty quickly! The bonus is you’ll have two dips in one bowl, and some extra guacamole on the side!
Pro tip 1: Place a big scoop of guacamole on top of some tortilla chips and then smother that with the queso blanco that already has some guacamole in it and you’ve got an amazing plate of nachos!
Pro tip 2: You can mix the guacamole into the queso blanco for a really pretty swirly dip
Queso Dip with Easy California Avocado Guacamole
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 10 oz. Oaxaca (a Mexican style melting cheese), grated
- 4 oz. diced green chilies (we use hot)
- ½ cup Half & Half
- ¼ medium white onion, finely diced or grated
- 1 Tbsp. Cumin
- ½ Jalapeno, diced
- 1 batch Easy California Avocado Guacamole (see make-ahead recipe, below)
- Combine all the ingredients into a saucepan and heat over medium heat while stirring constantly.
- Serve Hot with a heaping dollop of homemade Easy California Avocado Guacamole in the center.
Easy California Avocado Guacamole
- 3 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded and peeled
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ small white onion, diced
- 1 medium jalapeño, diced (seeds removed, if you’d like less heat)
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 2 Tbsp. lime juice
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Combine the ingredients in a bowl and mash to combine – serve immediately, or put an avocado seed in the bowl and cover the whole thing tightly with plastic wrap to seal out the air.