Is there anything more decadent than sweet chocolatey crepes for breakfast? This chocolate hazelnut spread (like Nutella®) has a delicious and healthy secret. We’ve replaced the oil and sugar you see in the jars at the store with California avocado! Use milk chocolate for a sweeter spread or dark chocolate for a richer and more grown-up version.
Crepes with Avocado Chocolate Hazelnut Spread
Total Time: 35 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 165 mcg; Vitamin C 16 mg; Calcium 151 mg; Iron 3 mg; Vitamin D 1 mcg; Folate 133 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.27 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 20%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 10%; Iron 15 %; Vitamin D 6%
IngredientsCrepes 1 cup flour 1 Tbsp. sugar 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat (2%) milk 2 tsp. vanilla extract 2 eggs 2 Tbsp. butter, melted and slightly cooled 2 Tbsp. butter (for crepe pan) 1 cup fresh berries 2 tsp. powdered sugar for serving, optional Chocolate Avocado Hazelnut Spread 1 cup hazelnuts 12 oz. chocolate chips or baking bar (semi-sweet or dark chocolate, melted 1 ripe, Fresh California Avocado, quartered, seeded and peeled 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract 1/2 tsp. salt
Make the crepe batter
- Add flour, sugar, milk, vanilla, and eggs to a blender and blend until completely smooth. Add the melted butter and continue blending for another 30 seconds. Refrigerate for at least one hour or up to 24.
Make the chocolate hazelnut spread
- Place hazelnuts on a baking sheet and roast at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes until they are warm and fragrant. They can burn easily, so keep your eyes on them. Cool for a few minutes. Rub the hazelnuts with a warm kitchen towel to loosen the skin. Some skin will stay attached.
- Add hazelnuts to the bowl of a food processor and process until they begin to form a paste. Add melted chocolate, avocado, vanilla extract, and salt and continue processing until smooth. Stir in a few drops of water if you would like a thinner spread. This can be made ahead and refrigerated, but make sure you bring it up to room temperature before you make the crepes
*Melt chocolate in a double boiler, microwave or stove top.
Make the Crepes
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium and add small pat of butter. Stir the crepe batter with a large spoon or ladle then add a couple of tablespoons of batter to the pan. Swirl the pan until you get a nice even and thin crepe. When the top of the crepe looks dry (about one minute) flip it over and cook for another 15-30 seconds. It should be barely browned and not at all crispy. Repeat the process adding butter to the pan as needed. Stack the finished crepes on a plate and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Tip: Place a piece of waxed paper between each crepe.
- When ready to serve, place a couple of tablespoons of the chocolate hazelnut spread on each crepe and roll. Top with fresh fruit and, if using, add a sprinkle of powdered sugar.
Serving Suggestion: When in season, try peaches and other stone fruit in place of the fresh berries.
Beverage Pairing: Mimosas or Sparkling Lemonade
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Did You Know?
You can’t always tell if an avocado is ripe just by its color.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados