This delicious dish takes avocado toast to new heights – the tempura fried avocado layered on top of crispy caramelized bacon create a warm, savory taste that’s balanced with sweet chili sauce for the ultimate summer comfort food. This tasty California Avocado treat will warm heart with great flavor and nutrition including an excellent source of protein (74% DV), folate (40% DV), dietary fiber (36% DV), vitamin E (35% DV), vitamin C (25% DV), iron (20% DV) and potassium (20% DV).
Fried Avocado Toast with Caramelized Bacon and Arugula
Total Time: 50 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 75 mcg; Vitamin C 21 mg; Calcium 89 mg; Iron 4 mg; Vitamin D 0 mcg; Folate 158 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 2.37 g. % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 6%; Iron 20 %; Vitamin D 0%.
Ingredients1 cup all-purpose flour 1 tsp. salt 1 tsp. pepper 1 tsp. avocado oil 1/2 cup vegetable oil 1 large egg, beaten 1 cup ice water 2 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, quartered, peeled and seeded All-purpose cooking spray 1 (12-oz.) pack applewood smoked bacon, each piece cut in half crosswise 1/4 cup brown sugar 1 tsp. red chili flakes 1 small yellow onion, peeled and julienned 2 (3-oz.) ciabatta bread rolls, split open 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise 1 cup fresh baby arugula 1 large heirloom tomato, sliced thinly 1 large fresh radish, mandolin sliced 1/4 cup sweet chili sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, sift flour to remove lumps, and mix in salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, gently beat egg. Using a strainer, add ice water to lightly beaten egg, excluding ice from water. Mix together. Refrigerate egg mixture for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice each avocado quarter in half lengthwise to form thin wedges.
- Once egg mixture has chilled, remove from refrigerator and batter avocado wedges by dipping each wedge in egg mixture, followed by thoroughly coating each wedge with flour mixture. Set aside coated wedges.
- Lightly coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Lay out applewood smoked bacon on baking sheet. Massage brown sugar onto bacon and add red chili flakes. Bake for 20 minutes or until crisp. Leave oven on.
- In a small frying pan, heat avocado oil and sauté onion over medium heat for 6-8 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium frying pan, heat vegetable oil.
- Working in batches, place battered avocado wedges into frying pan with the heated oil and fry until golden brown.
- Spread mayonnaise over ciabatta slices and toast on a sheet pan in the already pre-heated oven for 3-5 minutes.
- Once bread is toasted, add caramelized bacon, arugula, sautéed onions, tomato slices and radishes.
- Top toast with tempura fried avocado, and finish with a drizzle of sweet chili sauce.
Serving Suggestion: Slice the finished product in half for a tasty shared snack with a friend.
Beverage Pairing: Consider pairing this with a cold, refreshing glass of sweet iced tea or lemonade.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados