This fun salad is perfect for Memorial Day, July 4th, Flag Day celebrations or any time you feel patriotic.
You’re a Grand Old Flag Salad
Total Time: 20 min
Prep Time: |
Vitamin A 1443 IU; Vitamin C 14 mg; Calcium 130 mg; Iron 1 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 59 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 0.1 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 30%; Vitamin C 25%; Calcium 15%; Iron 4%
IngredientsAs needed Creamy Ranch-Style Dressing (see make-ahead recipe below) 14 oz. American blend salad 3 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, seeded, peeled and diced 2 oz. fresh blueberries 2 oz. small grape tomatoes, sliced in half Creamy Ranch-Style Dressing 1 (1-oz.) packet ranch dressing mix 16 oz. light sour cream As needed Non-fat milk, as needed to thin
- Make dressing and chill while preparing other ingredients.
- In a 9” x 13” pan, layer salad and avocado, pushing ingredients down and smoothing to create a flat surface.
- Top with dressing and spread to create a smooth surface. If dressing is too thick to spread easily, thin with a little non-fat milk.
- Orient the pan horizontally; place the blueberries in a rectangle shape in the upper left corner of the salad, leaving room between the berries for the dressing to show through.
- Place a row of tomatoes cut-side down along the top and bottom edges of the salad. Repeat with 5 more evenly-spaced rows of tomatoes between those rows, for a total of 7. Depending on the size of the tomatoes the white rows of the flag design may be narrower than the red rows.
Creamy Ranch-Style Dressing
- In medium bowl, stir all dressing ingredients until smooth and creamy.
If desired, fill in the white rows with shredded mozzarella cheese or other “white” ingredients
Serve with your favorite American beverage.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados