Huevos Rancheros with Fresh Cranberry Beans, California Avocado and Charred Salsa
Ingredients24 each corn tortillas, fried crisp As needed Fire Roasted Salsa (recipe follows) As needed Salsa Fresca (recipe follows) As needed Braised Cranberry Beans (recipe follows) As needed Twice Cooked Cranberry Beans (recipe follows) 6 cups shredded romaine lettuce 3 limes, juiced 3 Tbsp. cilantro leaves, chopped 24 each fresh eggs As needed California Guacamole (recipe follows) 3 each additional sliced Fresh California Avocados* and Salsa Fresca for garnish As needed olive oil California Guacamole (Yield: 12 servings) 12 large Fresh California Avocados*, peeled and seeded 3 each lemons, juiced 1 1/2 each jalapeños, seeded and membrane removed, finely minced 17 1/4 oz. tomatoes, small dice 3 cloves garlic, finely minced 13 1/2 oz. red onion, small dice 1 1/2 cups cilantro leaves, washed, stemmed, finely chopped As needed salt and black pepper to taste Fire Roasted Salsa (Yield: 12 servings) 15 3/4 oz. tomatoes 3 each jalapeños 27 oz. red onion, peeled 3/4 cup olive oil 3 each limes, juiced As needed salt to taste Salsa fresca (Yield: 12 servings) 17 1/4 oz. tomatoes, small dice 13 1/2 oz. red onion, small dice 1 1/2 each jalapeño, seeded, membrane removed, minced 2/5 cup cilantro leaves, finely chopped 3 each limes As needed salt to taste Braised Cranberry Beans As needed olive oil 6 cups fresh shelled cranberry beans, or other shelling bean 9 oz. carrots, peeled, chopped into large chunks 13 1/2 oz. celery, chopped into large chunks 27 oz. onion, chopped into large chunks 3 heads of garlic, each cut in half 1 1/2 each lemons 6 basil sprigs As needed salt to taste Twice Cooked Cranberry Beans 9 Tbsp. olive oil 27 oz. yellow onions, small dice 6 cups Braised Cranberry Beans, in braising liquid (1 batch) 3 pinches ground coriander 3 pinches ground cumin As needed salt to taste
- Coat the bottom of a sauté pan with Fire Roasted Salsa and Salsa Fresca and heat.
- For each serving top each of 2 crispy corn tortillas with the hot salsa and place on a warm serving plate, with the tortillas slightly overlapping.
- Top with hot Twice Cooked Cranberry Beans.
- Toss together romaine, cilantro and lime juice. Season with salt. Place evenly over the beans.
- Coat the bottom of a sauté pan with olive oil and over medium heat cook the eggs
- Sunnyside up. Place over the romaine.
- Garnish the dish with the California Guacamole, additional sliced Fresh California
- Avocados and additional Salsa Fresca.
- In a bowl, coarsely mash the California Avocado and stir with half of the lemon juice.
- Add the jalapeño, tomato, garlic, red onion and cilantro, stir to combine.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Season with remaining lemon juice as desired.
Fire Roasted Salsa
- Coat the tomatoes, jalapeño and red onion with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Place on a wood fired grill and grill until charred and cooked through. Remove from the grill (tomatoes will cook first, followed by the jalapeño and red onion).
- Chop the onion and tomato and place in blender. Cut the jalapeño in half; remove the seeds and white membrane and add the jalapeño flesh to the blender. Pureé.
- Season with lime juice and salt.
- Combine the tomato, red onion and jalapeño in a mixing bowl. Add the cilantro.
- Season with salt and lime juice. Chill.
Braised Cranberry Beans
- Place the beans in a pot and add cold water, enough to cover the beans by 1 inch.
- Over medium heat, bring to a boil.
- At the same time, in a sauté pan, coat the pan with olive oil reserving the rest of the olive oil for seasoning the cooked beans. Add the chopped carrot, celery and onion.
- Then add the garlic and sauté until all are browned. Add to the pot of beans.
- Reduce the heat on the beans to a low simmer and cook for about 1 hour until the beans are cooked through. Add water as necessary.
- Once the beans are cooked through, remove from the heat and season with salt, reserved olive oil and juice of the lemons. Crack the basil sprigs with the back of a chef knife and add to the beans. Allow beans to cool to room temperature and chill.
- Remove carrot, celery, onion, garlic and basil before preparing the Twice Cooked Cranberry Beans.
Twice Cooked Cranberry Beans
- In a sauce pot, heat the olive oil then add the onion and salt, cook until soft and translucent.
- Add the cranberry beans and their liquid. Bring to a simmer and season with coriander and cumin. Transfer all to a food processor and pulse until the beans are partially puréed.
*A large Fresh California Avocado weighs about 8 oz.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados