Lobster Salad with California Avocado Brulee
Ingredients1 cup Meyer Lemon Orange Blossom Honey Vinaigrette (recipe follows) 6 Whole lobsters 1 ½ lbs. each, poached, cleaned, chilled, removed from the shell 12 cups Mixed greens 3 Fresh California Avocados, sliced into 16ths.* 2 Tbsp. Turbinado sugar 24 slices Meyer lemon for garnish Meyer Lemon Orange Blossom Honey Vinaigrette 1/4 cup Meyer lemon juice, fresh 1/4 cup white wine vinegar 1 tsp. Dijon mustard 1/4 cup Orange blossom honey 1 cup olive oil 1 tsp. Fresh thyme 2 tsp. Lemon zest, chopped As needed Salt and pepper to taste
Meyer Lemon Orange Blossom Honey Vinaigrette:
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together Meyer lemon juice, vinegar, Dijon mustard and honey.
- Slowly whisk in olive oil.
- Add fresh thyme plus salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate and let rest at least one hour before use.
- Keep the lobster claw intact, and chop the rest of the lobster meat into large chunks.
- Toss the lobster with half of the dressing.
- Toss the greens with the other half of the dressing.
- Fan ¼ each sliced Fresh California Avocado on the platter, sprinkle with sugar and torch the sugar until golden brown.
- Mound the greens behind the avocado and top with the chopped lobster (1 cup of greens and 1 ½ oz. of chopped lobster per serving).
- Place one whole lobster claw next to the Fresh California Avocado. Garnish with sliced Meyer lemon.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados