Recipe courtesy of Brown’s, a California Café, from Cal Dining at University of California, Berkeley
Bacon, Arugula, California Avocado and Tomato Sandwiches
|3||Tbsp.||Herbed Dijonnaise (recipe follows)|
|4||slices rustic bread, such as a sweet batard|
|4||1 oz. slices cooked bacon|
|2||medium tomatoes, sliced|
|1/2||Fresh California Avocado*, sliced into six slices|
|1||cup||Arugula Mix (recipe follows)|
|As needed||Olive oil spray|
|Herbed Dijonnaise (Yield: Approximately 4-1/2 cups)|
|1 1/2||cups||Aioli (recipe follows)|
|3/4||cup||chopped fresh thyme or 4-1/2 Tbsp. Herbes de Provence|
|Aioli (Yield: Approximately 1 pint)|
|3||egg yolks, room temperature|
|4||cloves garlic, minced|
|2||cups||olive-canola blend oil|
|Arugula Mix (Yied: 18 cups)|
|1/2||cup||olive oil, extra virgin preferred|
|10||Tbsp.||apple cider vinegar|
|1/2||tsp.||cracked black pepper|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Spread Herbed Dijonnaise evenly over two slices of bread.
- Top each bread slice with 2 slices of bacon, 3 slices of tomato, 3 slices of avocado, ½ cup Arugula mix and a sprinkle of salt.
- Cover filling with other bread slices. Spray top slices with olive oil.
- Grill each sandwich in a Panini press for 1 minute. Cut in half on the bias and serve.
Herbed Dijonnaise Instructions
- Whisk together all ingredients. Cover and refrigerated until needed.
- Place yolks, water, lemon juice, mustard and garlic in the bottom of a narrow immersion blender cup.
- Pour oil on top and allow to settle for 15 seconds. Place head of immersion blender into the bottom of the cup and turn it on.
- As aioli forms, slowly tilt and lift the head of the blender until all the oil is emulsified and the mixture has the texture of mayonnaise. Move the immersion blender up and down, if needed.
- Season with salt. Refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Arugula Mix Instructions
- Toss arugula with olive oil, vinegar and black pepper. Keep cold until service.
* Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.