Seared ahi tuna, Fresh California Avocados and a sesame-miso dressing top fresh baby lettuces.
Seared Ahi & Avocado Salad with Sesame-Miso Dressing
Nutritional Highlights (per serving)
|Sesame-Miso Dressing (see make-ahead recipe below)|
|4||(5-oz.) ahi tuna steaks|
|1/2||cup||white and/or black sesame seeds|
|As needed||Oil, for grilling|
|2||ripe, Fresh California Avocados, halved and seeded|
|2||Tbsp.||fresh lemon juice|
|1||(5-oz.) bag baby lettuces|
|1||green onion, minced|
|2||Tbsp.||white miso paste|
|1||tsp.||toasted sesame oil|
As with all fruits and vegetables, wash avocados before cutting. Check out our tips for how to choose and use California Avocados
- Prepare dressing. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce with an equal amount of the dressing. Reserve remaining dressing.
- Brush soy sauce-dressing mixture over both sides of the ahi steaks.
- Place sesame seeds in a flat bowl. Press each ahi steak into the seeds to coat, set aside.
- Heat grill or stove-top grill pan to high heat. Brush lightly with oil.
- Brush cut-side of avocados with lemon juice and place avocados on hot grill/pan, cut-side down. Grill for two to three minutes; place on salad greens.
- Add ahi steaks to grill/pan and sear for about 30 seconds each side for rare tuna, or cook 2 to 3 minutes per side if you prefer more well-done ahi.
- Let seared fish rest for a couple of minutes, then slice. Place ahi slices on salad next to the grilled avocado halves.
- Fill each avocado with a spoonful of the dressing; drizzle remaining dressing on salad and serve.
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients until smooth.
Garnish with green onion curls if desired.
Try with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc or iced green tea.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Vitamin A 3441 IU; Vitamin C 13 mg; Calcium 91 mg; Iron 3 mg; Vitamin D 0 IU; Folate 93 mcg; Omega 3 Fatty Acid 2.5 g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 70%; Vitamin C 20%; Calcium 10%; Iron 20%